[SOLVED] Chipset driver for MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Hello,

Ive got a new Ryzen 7 3700x and an MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk motherboard.

I have been having some issues with my computer, I brought it in to a technician who said he updated the chipset drivers (among other stuff)

AMD, and Motherboard chipset installation is a little beyond my computer knowledge.

But i went into AMD SMBus Properties and looked at the driver date and version and it does not match the one on the MSI website for my motherboard.

Drivers on PC:
Driver Date: 3/8/2020
Driver Version: 5.12.0.38

Driver on MSI:
Driver Date: 2020-12-11
Driver Version: 2.10.26.336

Can someone tell me if I am up to date or not and or if the guy installed the wrong driver?

I will mention I updated my BIOS to the version MSI says is 7C91vA4 , date 2020-11-04. However, according to msinfo, my BIOS version says its American Megatrends Inc, A.40, 10/29/2020

Those dates also do not match.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Hello,

I have been having some issues with my computer, I brought it in to a technician who said he updated the chipset drivers (among other stuff)

AMD, and Motherboard chipset installation is a little beyond my computer knowledge.

But i went into AMD SMBus Properties and looked at the driver date and version and it does not match the one on the MSI website for my motherboard.

Drivers on PC:

Driver on MSI:

Can someone tell me if I am up to date or not and or if the guy installed the wrong driver?

I will mention I updated my BIOS to the version MSI says is...
Hi Pretzel12345.

The "vA4" means version A.40. The date is ok. So it looks look on the BIOS version.

You say you're having issues with your computer but you're not saying what they are.

Can you list your full system specs including PSU brand and model?

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Hi Pretzel12345.

The "vA4" means version A.40. The date is ok. So it looks look on the BIOS version.

You say you're having issues with your computer but you're not saying what they are.

Can you list your full system specs including PSU brand and model?
I didnt post the issues in this thread because I have been troubleshooting for around a month. I also have made other threads regarding the topic.

Ive got a 5 year old custom built PC, over the holidays I upgraded from an I5 6600 to an R7 3700x. With the upgrade, I literally swapped the new MB and CPU in and left the rest the same.
System specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
EVGA 750 watt GOLD rated psu
GTX 1070 FTW
16 gb g.skill f4-2800c17d RAM (Not on this MB QVL list)
500gb sata 3 ssd
1tb hdd

After the instilation, my pc has been "freezing" randomly, could range from a system lock up, to one app lock up, to Spotify audio cutting out but the track timer continues (cant pause or skip the song), to windows loading a program and having it say "not responding".

Troubleshooting:
half, then full windows reinstall
BIOS update
Memory test, all good (says the technician)
drive tests, both good (says the technician)
chipset driver update (why im here writing this forum)
limited ram speeds to 2800 mhz
tried single channel ram
all temps for cpu are fine (mid 30-40 on idle, never above 60 on load)
no MB overclocking like game boost
changed from ryzen balanced to windows balanced power plan

I idle at around 3.9-4.15 Ghz which is interesting to me. People say its not an issue though
feel free to check my profile for other troubleshooting I have done, and some responses people have made.

Last edited:
Hello,

Drivers on PC:

Driver on MSI:

I will mention I updated my BIOS to the version MSI says is 7C91vA4 , date 2020-11-04. However, according to msinfo, my BIOS version says its American Megatrends Inc, A.40, 10/29/2020

Any help is appreciated!
Newest drivers are here: https://www.amd.com/en/support

Solution

Tenpinsmick

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Hello,

Drivers on PC:

Driver on MSI:

Any help is appreciated!

Found using Drive Easy very handy for checking for latest drivers. The free option still allows to scan, download and manually install. Maybe worth a try.

it’s a quick check of all drivers saves you a lot of time to be honest especially if you are unsure on whether that are latest or not. Personal opinion obviously.
I've seen too many screwups from programs like that. Maybe useful only if you can't find some drivers yourself. There is also option to look for driver by HW Id. Just copy and enter in Google or other search engine.

Tenpinsmick

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
I've seen too many screwups from programs like that. Maybe useful only if you can't find some drivers yourself. There is also option to look for driver by HW Id. Just copy and enter in Google or other search engine.

Yeah agree you need to be careful and maybe create restore point before any driver install etc. Swear by this programme though.