Question Chipset driver not updating?

mattflip

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I am not the most computer savvy so bear with me.

specs:
mobo: asus prime x370 pro
cpu: ryzen 7 1700
ram: 16bg gskill flare x
gpu: gigabyte 1080ti

I would like to update my BIOS and asus recommends updating my chipset driver before updating the BIOS so I am currently trying to update my chipset driver. Correct me if I am wrong, but my googling has led me to understand that you can view the current version of the chipset driver by looking under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and System Devices in the device manager and viewing the drivers tab in their properties panel. Here are photos of what mine show:
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
-driver info
System Devices
-driver info
(I can provide more screenshots of what the driver versions are for the others if need be, let me know)

I have downloaded the appropriate chipset driver found here (Windows 10 64bit) and have extracted it and installed it. I am currently trying to install Version 19.10.22 because the latest Version 1.7.29.0115 states "Update AMD chipset driver 19.10.xx first before update this driver" in its description. Everything seems to install correctly but after restarting my pc when I go back into the device manager I can see that nothing has changed and all of the driver versions in the properties panel are the same as before. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I looking in the wrong area to determine my current chipset driver version? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

You are looking in the wrong place for the updated driver to be reflected after updating. Those are storage controllers, not chipsets. Chipsets drivers can be found.........under "chipset drivers" on your motherboard product page OR at AMD.com. Also, you are correct that under System devices there should be a listing for AMD X370 chipset device in the device manager.

Here is the latest chipset driver for your system.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x370

Reactions: mattflip

mattflip

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
You are looking in the wrong place for the updated driver to be reflected after updating. Those are storage controllers, not chipsets. Chipsets drivers can be found.........under "chipset drivers" on your motherboard product page OR at AMD.com. Also, you are correct that under System devices there should be a listing for AMD X370 chipset device in the device manager.

Here is the latest chipset driver for your system.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x370
thank you very much. I believe the issue has been resolved. much appreciated

TRENDING THREADS