[SOLVED] Chkdsk /f /r stage 5 progress at 4% after 5 hours

Sep 7, 2020
After formatting my laptop's hard drive using a bootable usb. I took it out and connected it to my desktop to ran chkdsk /f /r. Everything is fast moving from stage 1 to stage 4. But when it hit stage 5, which is "Looking for Bad, Free cluster..." it started moving very slow. 5 hours past and it's at 4% with ETA of 80hrs. Currently, the progress is at 7,550,000 of 183,991, 000 done. Does this mean something bad? Please help as I don't know if it's efficient to replace my hard drive with a new one. Thank You! :)
Hard Drive size is 750gb

The scan rate is 1,7MB/sec. That's the kind of speed one could expect via USB 1.0.

Is the drive connected internally or externally?

Check the SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo.

A better tool for testing the drive is HDDScan or Victoria for Windows. These tools will detect any "slow" sectors, ie those that have difficulty reading.

Sep 7, 2020
The scan rate is 1,7MB/sec. That's the kind of speed one could expect via USB 1.0.

Is the drive connected internally or externally?

Check the SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo.

A better tool for testing the drive is HDDScan or Victoria for Windows. These tools will detect any "slow" sectors, ie those that have difficulty reading.
the drive is connected directly to the desktop's motherboard through a sata cable. Crystal disk info returned yellow mark on current pending sector count and reallocated sector count.
I'm guessing this means the hard drive should be replaced?
Here is a photo of Disk scanned with CrystalDiskinfo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k_F2kTuIzrA9ia1C2mwxf3kN46fmgPTC/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: