Chkdsk gone wrong

Pshaw98

Oct 20, 2012
I made a rookie mistake by doing chkdsk and checked both options when I didn't need to. I was doing chkdsk because I wanted to make sure everything was okay under the hood. But after I restarted my computer, I'm assuming it went to chkdsk because there is no power going into the mouse, keyboard, or moniter. Is this normal? I got really impatient after 2 hours not knowing how long it should take, so I restarted my computer. It went right back into the computer on, but no power to keyboard, mouse, or moniter. After a little googling, I discovered this will take upwards to 16 hours or so. Ok, I'm okay with that, but it seemed like those people had power running through their keyboards and monitors? I have now let it run 8 hours and I am little worried, and did I damage something when I rebooted during chkdsk?

Also something off topic about GPUs:
Is there a program I can use to test the health of a GPU? I want to make sure nothing was damaged when I attempted to Overclock it.

My specs:
Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.4Ghz
ASRock Extreme4 z87 Motherboard
16GB corsair RAM 1600hz
1TB SATA 6GB HDD (don't know manufacturer)
AMD Radeon 7970 3GB

Solution
The motherboard vendor often has utilities to run a system check, may be in the BIOS, may be a downloadable program.

For the hard drive, the drive vendor will have a program to run to test it.

Devin Mann

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
If chkdsk is being run with the options to fix file system errors or to scan and fix bad sectors, and the program has found such and happens to be in the fixing mode when the hard reset is done, files will be damaged. However, there will be no physical damage to the drive. How that effects the system depends on which file(s) is/are damaged. So maybe it was doing something with its drivers?

Oh and you can run a benchmark for your GPU and monitor it with GPU-Z, but I wouldn't be too worried about that card, there known to be pretty rock solid. I own one also. :)

Pshaw98

Oct 20, 2012
So at most I would have to reinstall some drivers? Or would I need to reinstall windows all together? Is the no power to monitor, keyboard, or mouse a common thing and nothing to worry about?

Samat

Distinguished
When checkdisk is running it should show status of how much it has checked/is left. If your screen was blank after the restart to run checkdisk there might be something else wrong with your system. Can you acces your system in safe mode?

Pshaw98

Oct 20, 2012
When I restarted it, I held down the power button until the computer shut off and left it off for a few seconds. I cannot access my computer in safe mode because the monitor never gets any response from the computer. I will try the onboard video when I get home in a few hours. I'm not 100% sure my motherboard has onboard video however. My processor does though, will be any different from using the GPU?

Devin Mann

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
yea it will be different, but only if you get a signal from the onboard, but if there is still no signal then the motherboard could be shot. . . Im thinking this only because of it not putting out a signal to anything right now. keyboard/mouse but if you can get a signal to the monitor then its not the board. . . :\

Your motherboard has video connections on it. It will be a lot slower, but will at least remove a bad video card and maybe the power supply from the list of things that are wrong. Since you turned it off the hard way (holding in the power button), you could be in the rare cases where that damaged something. Usually a hard shut off causes hard drive issues, but at times it can kill other components (motherboard for example).

If you don't get any video with the onboard video (after removing the Radeon from the system totally), do a quick check with another computer to make sure your monitor works. It probably will though. Reset the BIOS on the system to defaults using the jumper, try again. If that does not work, try removing all RAM except one stick, try again. Try all the RAM sticks that way. If they all fail, you need to try another motherboard or maybe the power supply.

Pshaw98

Oct 20, 2012
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try them out when I get home and inform everyone of the results. Is there a scenario any of you see where there is nothing wrong with the hardware in my computer?

If you get not video and mouse/keyboard do not work, very unlikely it's anything but hardware. You should at least see the BIOS screen when you turn on the system. Unless it's simply your monitor or cable. Even then, you should see the mouse and keyboard lights on.

Pshaw98

Oct 20, 2012
Im now on my computer! Thanks everybody! I had to call ASRock because there was constant beeping on my motherboard, they said to just clear the CMOS, which worked. I don't even know that is.....

The disc check went through in about 3 hours with no errors found, however I still think I might have done some damage with that reboot I did. Any suggestion programs for checking motherboard and HDD status?

I would run System File Check:
Search: CMD
Right click CMD.EXE "Run as Administrator"
Type: sfc /scannow
ENTER

Yogi