Question chkdsk running at Startup on 2 external HDDs

cool09

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
I have an Orico Docking Station with two 3.5" SATA HDD slots which I've been using about 5 yrs and it has worked great w/no problems.
Yesterday 1 External HDD didn't show up in Windows 10 File Explorer so I booted Windows in Safe Mode and chkdsk ran automatically on the HDD and repaired errors on the HDD then the HDD worked in File Explorer.
Then 5 minutes later the same thing happened to a different external HDD and chkdsk ran and then the HDD showed up in File Explorer.
These 2 external SATA HDDs are Western Digital Blue SATA 1TB and 2TB drives 6Gb/s and are 2-3 yrs old.
My PC is an ASUS IntelCore 4.10 GHz and is about 5 yrs old w/Windows 10 (64-bit and is up-to-date), Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500GB Internal Drive and 32GB RAM. Recently been having occassional trouble with File Explorer being slow on internal HDD. And 7 mths ago chkdsk was running at Startup on my internal C: Drive and Stage 4 was not completing. Since then chkdsk hasn't run at Startup on C: Drive and the drive has worked good except for File Explorer being slow recently.
What is going on with my External Drives?
What are the odds that 2 External disks are corrupt within 5 minutes of each other?
Where is the problem in my system?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
My suspicion is the Orico dock. I’ve used various Orico docks and enclosures over last 7 years and have found them very flaky. They generally have the cheapest nastiest JMicron controllers available.

My 2-slot Orico HDD dock used to randomly corrupt my backup drives every few months, making them unreadable. Transplanted the drives to a QNAP DAS and had no issues with daily use for >2 years.