News Chocolate 3D Printer, Cocoa Press, to Ship this Fall for $1,499. Pre-Orders Start in April.

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
I mean seriously why would anyone buy one of these printers? Maybe if it could print the money to pay for itself otherwise it's a bad joke IMO.

Reactions: LolaGT

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: King_V and PEnns

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
A cake or chocolate shop.

A couple decades ago, I helped a friend set up a Sweet Art printer...
The edible dyes used in those cakes cost next to nothing. But when the source material for your chocolate creations is this pricey, your market is going to be -extremely- limited. Most shops need a 300-400% markup over the cost of raw materials to turn a profit, and not many customers want to pay $1,000 for a pound of chocolate.

Mar 5, 2023
The edible dyes used in those cakes cost next to nothing. But when the source material for your chocolate creations is this pricey, your market is going to be -extremely- limited. Most shops need a 300-400% markup over the cost of raw materials to turn a profit, and not many customers want to pay $1,000 for a pound of chocolate.

The first video in the article at the 2:30 mark covers about the chocolate cores used by the machine, and they said that people can use their own chocolate with the machines, and that they will work to make instructions for people to be able to use their own chocolate. They also commented that for shops that wish to use their own chocolate with the machine, that they will work with them to provide them the information so they can make their own chocolate cores.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
The first video in the article at the 2:30 mark covers about the chocolate cores used by the machine, and they said that people can use their own chocolate with the machines, and that they will work to make instructions for people to be able to use their own chocolate. They also commented that for shops that wish to use their own chocolate with the machine, that they will work with them to provide them the information so they can make their own chocolate cores.
Excellent information, thanks. I imagine the chocolate is required to have a specific viscosity at a particular temperature, so a certain degree of blending will normally be required, in addition to forming the core itself.

This is one of the dumbest things ever
You've never eaten chocolate -- or any other food item -- shaped in a specific manner other than an simple amorphous blob? This is a fantastic option for a small confectionary shop ... and if the price drops any further, I'm sure quite a few hobbyist's will consider one for the sheer fun of it.

Last edited:

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020

Indeed. But there are some fat cats and spoiled rich brats who spend a small a fortune on cakes, especially their wedding cakes.

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
This is one of the dumbest things ever, but I'm sure we have no shortage of dumb people that will buy a few.

There is no accounting for stupidity.
If people are willing to spend more than a thousand dollars for a piece of electronics (GPU) then I'm there's a large pool of customers for this...