Choice XP Home or Pro

I'm considering the purchase of a new XP computer system. The
machine will be connected to a cable modem. There will be no
networking with any other box by home network or LAN. Should I
purchase XP Home or trade up to XP Pro for an extra $75. Other than
networking features what advantages are there to XP Pro? How about
recovery of data or system resources? Are there other issues I
should know about?

Your kind and expert assistance is very much appreciated.

--
James E. Morrow
Email to: jamesemorrow@email.com

In news:n6rwyx0sjfux.zuijutpl4flb$.dlg@40tude.net,
James E. Morrow <jamesemorrow@cox.net> typed:

> I'm considering the purchase of a new XP computer system. The
> machine will be connected to a cable modem. There will be no
> networking with any other box by home network or LAN. Should I
> purchase XP Home or trade up to XP Pro for an extra $75.

The answer to almost everyone who has to ask this question is
that XP Home is just fine, and the extra features of Professional
would be useless to you.

> Other than
> networking features what advantages are there to XP Pro?

XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
all) home users, these features aren't needed, would never be
used, and buying Professional instead of Home is a waste of
money.

For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

Please reply to the newsgroup

James E. Morrow wrote:
> I'm considering the purchase of a new XP computer system. The
> machine will be connected to a cable modem. There will be no
> networking with any other box by home network or LAN. Should I
> purchase XP Home or trade up to XP Pro for an extra $75. Other than
> networking features what advantages are there to XP Pro? How about
> recovery of data or system resources? Are there other issues I
> should know about?
>
> Your kind and expert assistance is very much appreciated.

The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it
comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software
application compatibility, but are intended to meet different
functionality, networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in
different environments. The most significant differences are that
WinXP Pro allows up to 10 simultaneous inbound network connections
while WinXP Home only allows only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a
Microsoft domain while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports
file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100
USD more than WinXP Home.)

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:47:51 -0700, Bruce Chambers wrote:

> James E. Morrow wrote:
>> I'm considering the purchase of a new XP computer system. The
>> machine will be connected to a cable modem. There will be no
>> networking with any other box by home network or LAN. Should I
>> purchase XP Home or trade up to XP Pro for an extra $75. Other than
>> networking features what advantages are there to XP Pro? How about
>> recovery of data or system resources? Are there other issues I
>> should know about?
>>
>> Your kind and expert assistance is very much appreciated.
>>

> The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it
> comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software
> application compatibility, but are intended to meet different
> functionality, networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in
> different environments. The most significant differences are that
> WinXP Pro allows up to 10 simultaneous inbound network connections
> while WinXP Home only allows only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a
> Microsoft domain while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports
> file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100
> USD more than WinXP Home.)
>
> Windows XP Comparison Guide
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
>
> Which Edition Is Right for You
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
>
> Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

Thank you gentlemen for your prompt and fairly inclusive response.
This should make my decision much easier.

--
James E. Morrow
Email to: jamesemorrow@email.com

XP Pro has more security/backup features built-in. XP Pro is better as a
workstation or as a home PC for a Power User. Me. I have XP Pro, and I have
has XP Home. If you are a novice XP Home should suffice. If you are really
into PC's, Pro is for you.

Also, if you want to ever Remotely-Connect to your PC, you will need Pro.
With Pro, you can connect to the PC from anywhere in the world as if you were
sitting in front of it. Home does not offer that feature. Great if you work
from home and at an office and constantly have to share data.

BMR777
www.rusnakweb.4t.com