Choosing a career

Status
Not open for further replies.

dokuvene

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
Hello everyone!

You guys can call me Doku, thats the nickname that I usually use.
I just graduated from high school and I still unsure about what to study.
Since I was a little kid, I spent hours trying to figure out how the world works, specifically, computers and AI.

During my senior year, I decided that my future will continue next to electronics, because it is things that I like, and not just by the money.

So here is the problem, the question.
Should I study software or hardware engineering?
I feel more inclined to hardware engineering, but I really would thanks your opinions on both fields.

Thanks a lot in advance, <3

Solution

Work in an entry level job in a field that sounds interesting. You will learn a lot about the field...

kanewolf

Titan
Hardware engineering is a declining (in total employment) field. Software engineering is an expanding field. Why? Because custom hardware is required in so few cases that the demand just isn't there. A half-way between career is embedded software (used to be called firmware). That is software that controls things like routers, or the OS of phones, etc.

Work in an entry level job in a field that sounds interesting. You will learn a lot about the field in doing that, much more than if you simply majored in it in college. If you like it, then figure out what position you want and pursue the training required for that. The absolute worst thing you can do is to simply think you want to do something, go major in it in college, and then graduate 4-5 years later with a mountain of debt just to realize you can't get a job, or the job is terrible.

IT is unfortunately a declining field. The best way to have a job is to manage people or manage money, there are relatively few fields where you can actually do real work and get paid well. There are some in the skilled trades and medicine, and in others it is really niche stuff, like being the one old crusty guy that can program COBOL to keep a bank's really old critical legacy server going. Unfortunately that is the truth in today's age of outsourcing and excessive regulations pushing wages down and jobs out of the country, or losing jobs to automation.

Doing a job that you really don't like is not fun, but if it pays well, at least you are getting paid. The Baby Boomer mantra of "go to college and do what you love, the money will follow" is fatally wrong in today's economy. Do the least onerous thing that pays well, and enjoy your off time, when you get it. You'll be way ahead of the art majors that work as baristas at Starbucks with a mortgage's worth of student loans that they'll never pay off and can't get rid of but guarantee a lifetime of poverty.

Solution

jessty

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Choose the course that you really like so that you can work in a job that you feel more passionate with. When choosing a career, it is important that you love what you are doing so that you'll not be bored easily. I agree that the future holds more electronics and technology improvement so if you're interested in IT, go for it and it because it's one of the interesting career these days.

Palak10

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
Its completely depend upon your interest.
If you want to sit in front of the computer for the long time and brain wash your head then you must go for the software field
or else,
if you want to work with circuit, boards, assembling components, you can go for the hardware engineering.

Being a <a href="https://www.eduncle.com/ibps-so-and-it-officer-recruitment-exam">IBPS IT Officer</a> i suggest to go for the hardware filed.
Salary is much higher than the Software engineers.
BUT, There are much more jobs opportunities in software, so it’s probably easier to get a job in software.

Status
Not open for further replies.