Question Choosing a computer on CyberPowerPC

May 1, 2019
Hey everyone I'm looking into buying a custom built computer from CyberPowerPC and I honestly don't trust myself to build one myself as easy and cost effective as it may be. I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section but I was hoping someone could assist me with this as I have a few personal projects I would like to try in the near future.

My knowledge is very minimal when it comes to computer parts, specifications and all that so please go easy on me :)

Basically I was browsing multiple options available but my main problem is that I wasn't sure what parts were compatible. I'll mainly be using this computer for gaming purposes but I'm hoping that it could also run Adobe products like After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator along with possible music production. I might also plan on recording and streaming for fun for a while. Many people recommend me very top of the range computers but I wasn't sure if that was entirely necessary with what I have planned. I am currently using a Smart HD TV which I believe goes to 1080p. I do plan on getting a monitor in the future but it won't be for another year at least.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what parts I should look into getting or maybe a computer of their own that works really well with similar goals in mind. I will post a link to a computer I was recommended but I have a feeling I'm spending too much money for what I will be using. https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Infinity-X88-GTX-Gaming-PC

Anyway sorry for the avalanche of text, I hope one of you experts can assist me with this. I probably won't be able to respond until after work tomorrow but I look forward to hearing from you guys :D

Many thanks in advance,
Brad.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if you can turn a screwdriver you can assemble your own computer. youtube has many videos you can watch to familiarize yourself with the process. turning a screwdriver is literally the hardest part. The Forums are here if you have any questions and there are troubleshooters you can use to prepare yourself for assembly too.
I dislike cyberpowerpc for one reason they use crappy PSUs. the PSU is the most important part of the PC, you are better served by a slightly slower CPU than a crappy PSU that COULD kill the entire PC, but they advertise that fast CPU.
I know you can do it.
pcpartpicker is the go to site for assembling a system list, it has a decent compatibility checker to help out. I will post a system build from there with a parts list I feel anyone could assemble as well as some tips for grounding yourself during assembly.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£274.29 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£120.00 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£136.38 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£79.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB AORUS Video Card (£304.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Inwin - 101 Black ATX Mid Tower Case (£68.40 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£77.99 @ AWD-IT)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£83.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1206.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-02 00:35 BST+0100

SSD and hard drive is twice the size, the RAM has doubled. you mention that the monitor is 1080p so the 2070 would be wasted until you could get a new screen. the 1660 is a great performer and can be replaced easily later if needed. Same Case. I assumed you liked the looks of it. Gold rated PSU with a decade long warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradderz369

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Assembly grounding:
plug in the power supply to the wall. you can touch an unpainted part of the PSU (insert an unpainted unfinished screw into the PSU mounting holes and touch the screw as a grounding point) once you have grounded yourself you can now touch and assemble the parts of the PC.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, reground yourself again.
install the CPU into the motherboard and the RAM into the slots.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, reground yourself again.
install the cooler to the CPU. install the motherboard into the case.
secure the motherboard down with the screws, make sure you remove any unwanted/needed mounts before securing the motherboard.
unplug the PSU and ground yourself again. install the PSU into the case and secure with the 4 mounting screws.
plug in the power cord and ground yourself again from now on after grounding, unplug the power supply cord from the wall.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
connect the power supply to the motherboard by the 24 pin and the AUX CPU power connector, install the GPU if one is selected, and install the drives with the supplied mounts in the case. connect the front panel connections to the case according to the manuals.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
if there are any other peripherals, like wifi cards or sound card install and secure now. verify all power cables are connected to the motherboard and the GPU if needed.
the system can now be booted and the BIOS adjusted if needed (refer to motherboard manual) then an OS installed. when you are sure the system will need no more working/tinkering you can install the side panel and close the case. you have now assembled a PC.
end canned rant

USAFRet

Titan
For building your own (strongly recommended), start here:

May 1, 2019
Thank you for all the information you have provided. I just have a few questions if that's okay!

Firstly, are those all the components I need for a working computer? I was just curious as I saw a massive list when I was previously recommended a computer from CyberPower.

Also is there a main difference between Intel and AMD or is it literally price? I've always had Intel on my previous computers and I haven't used AMD so I wasn't sure if it worked differently too.

Finally if I do plan on getting a monitor (nothing too fancy), do I just upgrade the graphics card?

Thanks again for being patient with me everyone!

DSzymborski

Titan
- Well, except for the mouse and keyboard, yes. R_1 gave you a build list that has everything you need.

- They function the same, though the Intel high-end is a bit better for gaming (we're not talking a severe difference unlike the older FX AMDs which were kind of a mess) and the AMD CPUs tend to be good value choices in terms of cores for the money.

- It depends on your resolution. If you just get a 1080p monitor, you'd be fine with a 1660Ti and wouldn't need to upgrade. You'd just plug it into the new monitor. If you did get, say, a 4K monitor, you'd want a more powerful GPU.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you will need a keyboard and mouse, I do not know your hands, so you choose those. maybe a colored fan or two if you wish.
the performance difference between the one I suggested and the one in the CBPC is @ 15% depending on the task. the price difference is far greater than 15%. I went with the AMD because of the budget. I just cannot justify an extra 100 for a 15% increase.

the list CBPC provides lists the devices on the motherboard like they are separate and different devices. the network, the audio are on the motherboard for instance.

the GPU I selected based on the monitor you currently have. if you get a 4k a stronger GPU will be called for and as you just built your PC an quick upgrade will be old hat. (y)
the resolution of the monitor will determine which class GPU you will need.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
Thanks once again for clearing things up for me. I shall try building a computer and see how things go. I really appreciate all the help and information everyone has provided, I'll try and obtain the parts this month and see where things go.

I did have a problem in the past where my old computer wouldn't output to my TV. I was wondering if that would happen again or would it not be an issue?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Thanks once again for clearing things up for me. I shall try building a computer and see how things go. I really appreciate all the help and information everyone has provided, I'll try and obtain the parts this month and see where things go.

I did have a problem in the past where my old computer wouldn't output to my TV. I was wondering if that would happen again or would it not be an issue?

it may, most often it is because of a hardware selection problem. motherboard will need an update to run with that CPU and the update will require an old CPU first, that sort of thing happens but the system I linked to will not have these conflicts. the motherboard is CPU ready and so is the GPU, barring a faulty part you should be good to go.

any more questions, ask away.

May 1, 2019
That's awesome. One final thing, I've been looking into cases and I believe I have found some compatible ones but I was wondering if there were any recommendations you would personally make? I'm not too worried about the looks of the case but I believe certain ones are better than others. If there are some nice looking cases for an affordable price, I'll take that too haha.

I was at work and I was shamed for not knowing how to build a PC, it was pretty funny :p

HAHA, now you do. Make sure the case has enough bays for hard drives and SSD's. Make sure it has good reviews and ample room inside for your build including motherboard size support. Looks are another thing but i think plain back cases have grown on me. PC part picker will make sure everything fits.

May 1, 2019
Yeah that PC part picker website is very convenient for sure! Well I will have a look around for some cases and see how things go.

I sure do say thanks a lot but thanks again to everyone assisting me with this!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
for me a case is just a box to put your PC in. I went with the one CBPC selectem but my go to basic case is the Deepcool Tesseract black and blue.
a box hold a pc and has decent cooling the rest is optional. the tesseract is available in other colors.
that motherboard is Full ATX which means is will require a full sized ATX case or larger. mATX and smaller cases are too small to mount the full sized motherboard into.
going off the list I gave.
your CASE requirements:
the motherboard form factor: ATX
the number of drive bays needed: in your case look for 3 x 3.5 and at least 2 x 2.5 inch bays. the SSD will reside on the motherboard and you will need one 3.5 inch bay for the HDD.
fan mounts: your desired amount of fans to expel hot air.

Last edited:

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Yeah that PC part picker website is very convenient for sure! Well I will have a look around for some cases and see how things go.

I sure do say thanks a lot but thanks again to everyone assisting me with this!

I would like to help you if I could. If you are still unsure of your personal building skills then I fully offer my services. I have built hundreds of PC's, mostly for a business my school had a contract with and some for my friends as well as myself. I have over 20 years experience building PC's. The only problem I see is I live in the US. I would have no problem building the PC for you as long as you can cover the shipping costs. I have my own website........Please contact me if you need me. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2019
Yeah it's pretty much the same with me, the case will just be there to hold the parts. I'm not going to look down every now and again and think to myself "Oo pretty lights" haha. You're an absolute star R_1, I'll have to choose one of the 5 cases that I have found and see if they're compatible. From the parts you recommended, how many preinstalled fans would you say is necessary. I wanted to say 3 just in case I plan on upgrading in the future.

Also @PCMDDOCTORS , I really appreciate the offer but I believe I should get some experience in building computers as it will help out in the long run!

Hope you guys have a great weekend ahead!

Most people should have a friend or relative that has built computers before, get a parts list for your budget from the systems forum section and find someone to work with you to build it. Really the hardest part is not skipping steps and doing something silly like leaving a plastic protector on.

Cases you can pick almost anything you want out there, if you don't do overclocking or trying to stuff a very small case, cooling is not a big issue.
My favorite cases are smaller mid-size ones, with a separate bay for the power supply. This is my case, mostly because it had an optical drive bay http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M.html this is nice also https://www.nzxt.com/products/h500-matte-white

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
Thanks again! I'm looking forward to getting a new computer soon. I'm trying to do loads of research to make sure I'm doing everything correctly but for some reason, I keep second doubting myself as I keep saying "Will this be enough, will it do what I need it to do?", I'm sure it will be absolutely fine I'm just being weird about it haha.