Question Choosing between several PSUs

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
I need to get a new PSU for my old computer
I5-750 (2.6 Ghz), ASUS P7P55DLE, Radeon R9-380, 4x2GB DDR3, 1xSSD, 2xHDD 7200rpm, WLAN card, 2x120mm case fans

I would like, however to use this PSU also in the future when I upgrade to a newer system (e.g. Ryzen 5 3600, Geforce RTX 2070 or Radeon RX 5700XТ)
I contemplate among the following PSUs (ordered by price):

• Seasonic FOCUS 650 Gold (SSR-650FM)
  • Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold (SSR-750FM)
  • Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W Platinum (SSR-750PX)

I wonder whether I will really need 750w in the future (even with a powerful CPU and Video card)?
Fully modular does not make much difference to me compared to semi-modular - I will always connect the MB/CPU cables anyway.
I know that the PX model can also turn off completely the PSU fan but having in mind all other fans in the case - I am not sure if this will make any difference.

What is your opinon?
Thanks in advance

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would like, however to use this PSU also in the future when I upgrade to a newer system (e.g. Ryzen 5 3600, Geforce RTX 2070 or Radeon RX 5700XТ)

Really you only really need 650W to run either the 2070 or 5700XT, and that's with headroom. a 2070 in reality can run on a good quality 500W.

750W gives you even more headroom. but 650W gives you plenty of headroom even for the upgrades you stipulated.

I know that the PX model can also turn off completely the PSU fan but having in mind all other fans in the case - I am not sure if this will make any difference.
This is the hybrid fan control on all of the Focus plus models, and it is useful if your system is often at lower loads. If you are constantly stressing or putting higher load on the system, then it won't make MUCH of a difference, but the idea is that when your PC is under low loads (which is most of the time) then the fan will not spin to maximise efficiency/power of the PSU and allow heat to just naturally rise in the case, for this reason they often tell you to reverse the way you install the PSU for it as it works by allowing natural heat to rise.

Overall if that's not what you need, it won't make a huge difference. I have the Focus Plus myself but currently do not run it on hybrid fan control due to my current usage.

If I were you, I would probably say the FOCUS Gold 650W is plenty. However if you want even more longevity of a guarantee, the FOCUS Plus gives 3 years more warranty. So it's guaranteed for 10 years, as opposed to the Semi modular FOCUS series of 7 years.