[SOLVED] Choosing RAM for my new i7-12700K and confusions I have about it

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hello Tom's Hardware friends.

I have a couple questions regarding my selection of RAM for my new PC build. I am in the process of selecting and buying components for my new PC rig.

I've got the following:
-ASUS Z690-F ROG Strix MoBo
-Intel i7-12700K CPU

I now want to buy the RAM for this combo.
My RAM will be DDR5.
When I look at the Intel CPU spec sheet, it lists compatible memory as DDR5-4800.
When I look at the MoBo spec sheet, it lists compatible memory ranging from BASE 4800 up to O.C. 6400

Here are my questions:
1.) I'm shopping currently based on lowest (compatible RAM) CL. Which at the moment is CL32. The CL32 RAM is DDR5-6400. If I bought this RAM, would it be installed into my system as a base running speed of 4800 until I unlock the O.C. to 6400?
2.) Will my CPU support 6400? Since the spec sheet only lists the base 4800. I know the MoBo supports it, I'm just not sure how the CPU will react.
3.) Last time I built a PC, it was 2013/2014. Is a total RAM count of 32GB still acceptable for high-end gaming PC's? Or has that changed to 64?

I've heard the Intel CPU's don't require as fast of RAM speed support as the Ryzen CPU's do. But, when I look at 4800 RAM modules, it's CL40. It is too high for me. I'd prefer much lower CL which is why I am shopping the 32's. But, the questions above have me stumped.

Thank you for your help and assistance!

Solution
The CL32 RAM is DDR5-6400. If I bought this RAM, would it be installed into my system as a base running speed of 4800 until I unlock the O.C. to 6400?
Depends on the RAM JEDEC specs. But in most cases it will be 4800.
Will my CPU support 6400?
It should. However, anything above 4800 is technically OC, and OC is never granted for sure. However, a word of warning here: if you want fast DDR5 use only 2 sticks. There are multiple reports that DDR5 can't run 4 sticks as fast as 2, at least yet.
Is a total RAM count of 32GB still acceptable for high-end gaming PC's?
I would say 16 is sufficient for gaming, 32 is for non gaming usage PCs. Currently.

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Why not get DDR4 instead?
You could get double amount of ram for the same price. Just need DDR4 compatible motherboard.
Reason being I intend on holding on to the base build for another 10 years, like I did my last build. So I would like the ability to do incremental upgrades over the next decade and having the platform already set up for next generation components. That is what would be ideal for me moving forward.

The CL32 RAM is DDR5-6400. If I bought this RAM, would it be installed into my system as a base running speed of 4800 until I unlock the O.C. to 6400?
Depends on the RAM JEDEC specs. But in most cases it will be 4800.
Will my CPU support 6400?
It should. However, anything above 4800 is technically OC, and OC is never granted for sure. However, a word of warning here: if you want fast DDR5 use only 2 sticks. There are multiple reports that DDR5 can't run 4 sticks as fast as 2, at least yet.
Is a total RAM count of 32GB still acceptable for high-end gaming PC's?
I would say 16 is sufficient for gaming, 32 is for non gaming usage PCs. Currently.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS