Choppy fps in games whether having low or high settings!!!

ModernBear

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
I have had this problem for a while now and I would really like to get it settled so I can actually focus on my games. I will be playing perfectly fine and then my fps will suddenly become erratic jumping all over the place, even standing still. This is usually accompanied by micro freezing when I try to move. This has occurred most recently in Far Cry 4 and there are few games it does not happen in (a few being League of Legends, Diablo 3, and Borderlands Pre-Sequel). Any help would be appreciated, specs below!

CPU -- Intel i7-4770K 3.50 GHz
GPU -- Nvidia GTX 780 Ti
RAM -- 8 GB
Resolution -- 1920x1080, 60Hz

Already did clean install of drivers, would HDD have anything to do with this?

Solution
are your cores unparked? sonetimes this is a prob;em in win 7 where parking causes lower framerate.

and it can be your HDD too..is it working properly/have you tried defragmenting it?

uthvag

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
are your cores unparked? sonetimes this is a prob;em in win 7 where parking causes lower framerate.

and it can be your HDD too..is it working properly/have you tried defragmenting it?

Solution

ModernBear

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014

It is a pretty slow 1TB hard drive but it functions and I defrag regularly, doing it no actually! But how would one go about unparking cores, I have never heard of that before.

ModernBear

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014

Just checked temps on Far Cry on "Nvidia" settings, I got;
~50 degrees on CPU
~63 degrees on GPU
Also noticed that my GPU usage ingame is very choppy, high and low spikes sporadically, is this normal?

Thanks for your help so far btw!

uthvag

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014

if you hardware isnt powerful enough there ought to be fluctuation .ex sometimes the fps in witcher 2 can drop to 35 during cutscenes or to 45 during heavy sceness , but normally it is 60

the %of you cpu/gpu used is determined automatically ,so dont worry

anyway , with ubis reputation FC4 is not tat well optimized , so it can even cause low ps/fps drop in good cards

i hope this is what you meant

ModernBear

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014

Yes, funny thing actually, I had 60+ fps the night of release, and now it's unplayable, lol, I think it's on my end, also it appears a few of my cores are parked and am working to unpark them right now, I'll let you know how it goes!

uthvag

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014

yeah, sometime win 7 parks the cores for'power saving'

anyway after you finish post the answer/pick it!!

CheapPizza

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Also be careful with temps on the CPU. When it gets too high it'll thermal throttle and then all sorts is FPS stuttering can happen. Also keep in mind that not having core parking means you'll be using a bit more watts, so slightly higher power bill. Make sure your computers power settings are set to "high performance", so it doesn't hold back any other hardware.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

TRENDING THREADS