Question Choppy gameplay / stutters at high fps. Cod cold war.

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
Hey guys and gals, i need some technical help at this point.
My rig is; ryzen 5 3600x paired with 1660super and 16gbs of ddr4 ram(3200MHZ) have an ssd. Using the latest version of windows 10 ( Have the gpu scheduling thingy turned on but the problem was happening on a lower version of windows aswell). Also using a 75hz monitor.

So even though my temps arent really bad, about 70-75celcius for both CPU and GPU, and the fps counter says i have around 100-120 fps the game feels incredibly choppy like its stuttering. When i put vsync on that choppyness disappears but it introduces fps drops, like when i get a big explosion or whatever on the screen, the fps would drop by about 20-30 frames or whatever and that wouldnt really be an issue because i was sitting at 100+frames, though when vsync is on and the frames are limited to 75 that becomes a big issue.

Also it is safe to say the choppyness i get is not screen tearing. I do notice screen tearing when it happens but this choppyness issue is definetly something else. Aiming running, manuevering becomes nearly impossible with this choppyness.

Has anyone ever had this kinda issue where vsync off = choppy mess of a gameplay? How can i fix this?

Try this:
Open the 'adv_options' file located in the 'players' folder in the 'Call of Duty Modern Walfare' folder
inside the Documents folder.
Change 'VideoMemoryScale' to .65 or .55
Change 'RendererWorkerCount' to 6 (the # of physical CPU cores)
Reboot
If that's not not work try version 456.xx of Nvidia drivers.

Reactions: SSSalo

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
Try this:
Open the 'adv_options' file located in the 'players' folder in the 'Call of Duty Modern Walfare' folder
inside the Documents folder.
Change 'VideoMemoryScale' to .65 or .55
Change 'RendererWorkerCount' to 6 (the # of physical CPU cores)
Reboot
If that's not not work try version 456.xx of Nvidia drivers.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did try the first part of your suggestion and didnt really notice a diffrence. Im a bit hesitant to mess with the drivers, i wanna hold off on doing that for now, its probably a good idea to mention that i have updated the drivers several times after i first noticed this issue. I feel like the new driver updates would maybe fix this if it was driver related. Could you let me know why specifically the 456. drivers?

There is an issue with the latest Nvidia drivers and COD War Zone.
If the issue started after upgrading to any of the latest drivers, then going back to previous drivers will help.
You will have to run DDU in safe mode to clean all file drivers, then install the previous version.
I usually don't install new released drivers and updates right away, unless it fixes an issue I have.

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
There is an issue with the latest Nvidia drivers and COD War Zone.
If the issue started after upgrading to any of the latest drivers, then going back to previous drivers will help.
You will have to run DDU in safe mode to clean all file drivers, then install the previous version.
I usually don't install new released drivers and updates right away, unless it fixes an issue I have.

Did a clean install of 456.70 but didnt notice a diffrence after an hour of gameplay sadly.

Apr 4, 2021
Had the same problem Guys. What I did to fix this issue was go into NVIDIA Control Panel then to manage 3D settings then to program settings. Then added Cold War then I scrolled down to V sync and changed it from off to on. Then relaunched the game it was fixed. BUT.. if you go into graphics settings in the menu it says V sync is OFF but that’s not true. It’s manually on. So I wouldn’t change or touch it. I believe this is a weird bug. Maybe it’s for only some users like me and you. But it was driving me nuts until I fixed it. Have a good one ✌🏼