Choppy Games/FPS Dropping All of a Sudden?

VanishDaProfit

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hey guys, i've been having a problem the last few days. All the games I play (Smite, Sc2. Overwatch) have been unplayable. FPS in Smite used to be between 60-100 FPS and now It is 10-25 FPS. Overwatch is running at 15 FPS. I don't have the best gaming laptop but its done the job with the exception of this week.

Things i've tried:
-Going to and from Windows 7 and Windows 10
-Installing drivers, rolling back GPU drivers
-Changing settings in the games to try and find the problem

***Side note, in Overwatch, the thing that would flex the FPS counter up quite a bit was moving the "render scale" down dramatically. I used to have it running at 75-100%, but up there it gets really bad now, I can get up to 22 FPS putting it down to the lowest setting (40-50%) but everything becomes very fuzzy. Any suggestions?

I have a GTX460m, Intel i7, 8GB ram.

Also temperatures are:
GPU: 53C
CPU: 50-55C

Solution

in resource monitor under the RAM tab it will show usage and on the bottom portion show two fields: Paged pool memory and non-paged pool memory. if these numbers are bigger than around 500mb there may be a problem and if they are over 1gb there is defiantly a leak. A memory leak is caused by a program requesting RAM but not releasing it when it is done using it and requesting...

VanishDaProfit

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

I've ran malwarebytes and windows defender but nothing has come up. Do you mean resource monitor? How do I tell if I have a memory leak? The monitor tells me that I use almost half of my gigs while nothing is running, which is about 3.5GB

in resource monitor under the RAM tab it will show usage and on the bottom portion show two fields: Paged pool memory and non-paged pool memory. if these numbers are bigger than around 500mb there may be a problem and if they are over 1gb there is defiantly a leak. A memory leak is caused by a program requesting RAM but not releasing it when it is done using it and requesting more and more etc. If you determine that a leak is occurring you need to find the source. Most often they are caused by out of date drivers so update drivers for every single component first but if that doesnt fix it I have experienced them in the past and here are the programs I've had affect this
Nvidia VLC; simply delete the folder for it in your Nvidia install location to remove
Corsair Link: bad with windows 10 usually but may have updated
if the leak persists download the program poolmon from windows and use it to see what task is allocating the pool memory and remove it.
I hope this helps!

Solution