Chrome 27, Firefox 22, IE10, And Opera Next, Benchmarked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I don't want to sound like a snob, but I really don't care what this benchmark says about IE10 this time around. It felt and it still feels like the freakin' fastest thing around.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Also, ignoring the actual scores, Opera 12.15 holds REMARKABLY well for a browser launched 7 months ago. IE had 1 update, FF had 5 updates, Chrome had 4 updates. And Opera holds up fairly well without using any kind of HWA or WebGL. That is just marvelous engineering.

Also, why don't you guys EVER use Opera 12.15 x64? It's even faster than the the x86 version. It's not Opera's fault their the only ones leveraging x64.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
1. Why no Octane in the JS benchmarks ?
2. Is HWA and webgl forced on in opera ? I remember that you agreed to force enable these features in Opera for sentiments sake.
3.Memory usage is going to be much better in FF23, specially for image heavy sites.

Google is adding too much stuff in Chrome, which has negatively affected its startup speed.

ratman6161

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
In your java script benchmarks you make the statement: "At 66 seconds, Firefox places fourth...." however the chart is not in seconds....it is in milliseconds. If it were seconds, the difference between Chrome at 47 and IE at 71 would be significant. But since it's miliseconds, no one will notice. I'm sure the "66 Seconds" is a typo but it makes the benchmark seem to have a lot more significance than it really does.

Burnard Burns

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
No mention of IE10 constant crashing? I've grown up with IE and find it the easiest and most comfortable browser to use. But I simply can't put up with it anymore. It's like trying to listen to music when the track keeps skipping. Bloody annoying.

Citizen White

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
"With no apparent weaknesses..."
Why is there no official 64 bit Firefox yet?
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/64-bit-firefox-for-windows-should-be-prioritized-not-suspended/

One thing this article doesn't adequately point out is that Opera 15 has had practically all of its defining features stripped out in the move to Chromium. It's gone from being a highly-configurable Internet suite with all sorts of unique features and functionality built in, to being a bare web browsing frame with almost zero advanced features or options, much like Chrome. In fact, the entire browser looks and feels like little more than a re-skinned Chrome.

Opera 12 was certainly an abysmal release, pushed out the door half a year late, with poor performance and all of its new major additions either broken or disabled. Even that at least still felt like Opera though. Replacing the rendering engine was a reasonable course of action, but Opera decided it best to replace the entire interface as well, removing all of the browser's features in the process. They're also incredibly vague on whether any of those past features will ever return. A big reason why tens of millions of people continued to use desktop Opera even when it was falling behind in performance in recent years was its rich built-in feature-set and highly configurable interface, both of which are no longer present in Opera 15. Opera may have caught up to Chrome in terms of overall performance, but this new browser is Opera in name only, and unlikely to please most existing users.

xizel

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Só id like too see these testes in multiple setups. For example I have a amd e-450 and chrome really struggles. Also noticed that since I sold my gpu and using the on board chip in my 2500k chrome really struggles with flash playback. With and without hardware acceleration.

Too true. FF just always feels slow to me, and not just on the startup. Add to that the horrible memory management ( at least the version I was forced to use two years ago at work, ) and the stupid download manager, and I can't stand to use it. I use Chrome usually, but I have a lot of page failures with it, usually audio/video media getting screwed up.

Say what you will about IE being slow, but I have far fewer page errors and crashes on that than other browsers. If IE supported directional tab scrolling ( ctrl+ pg up/down opposed to ctrl+tab only, ) I don't think I'd use another browser.

Firefox works perfectly for me. It is a big of a memory pig using about 1/2 GB right now but not so bad considering I have 65 tabs open.

It hasn't crashed in a long time and also the new releases fixed the serious memory leak.

But the download manager is a bit annoying but oh well.

IMO, Chrome sucks + I don't trust google products.

warer

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Switched from Opera 12 to Chrome because after a while it started to become slow, then a month ago switched from Chrome to Firefox because the loading takes about 1 minute with all the extensions I had

cummy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
The new Opera has removed the last useful full featured browser from the market. While Opera was a resource hog in many ways I could have used it as my daily portal, with email, notepad, rss all built in. It was also early to the html5 party.
IE was only used by me for computability purposes, it's started to get better though. I've heard all the wonders of Chrome and neither seen it nor felt it for myself. It fails to load some pages, crashes regularly and is generally a problem browser, but it does load fast so that mist be good.
Firefox started life as secure very light and fast browser. it should get back to ts roots. I use both FF and Opera and both are memory hogs. MS seems to be learning from the others and might be eying a monopoly status again because they are doing somethings right.
The review was a nice read but the reality is often so different from the lab. Benchmarks have proven to be unrealistic and benefits from local optimizations. I say kick out benchmarks and use real websites with real games and page images.

Status
Not open for further replies.