Chrome 45 To Automatically Block Auto-Playing Flash Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Good, this should help resolve some of the conflict between those desiring better performance and security and those dependent on ads to make their site financially viable. There will still be security issues but one channel will be eliminated.

It's about time. Unfortunate that companies have to take such drastic measures but flash really is tired and outdated and in addition to being a security risk is grossly inefficient. There's no reason to use such antiquated programming when something much more efficient is available. Ads are annoying enough, the usually get loading priority over content and on slower connections it really is a bandwidth hog. For those who have limited internet bandwidth it's posing a cost to web surfers in the form of data use that is completely unnecessary. Most animated ads remind me of the old html 'blink' tags used in text anyway, it's annoying. Flash is a huge resource suck and needs to die off in peace.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Sweet... now let's take on the annoying timed overlays that can't be closed... or just all overlays altogether. It isn't cool seeing something essentially hijack your viewing with nothing that you can do about it.

I saw this coming from a mile away. HTML5 can play the same annoying videos as flash(I know because I have flash disabled).

Steve Jobs was more after killing all the free flash games that would reduce app store sales.

Some users have actually reported lower battery life in HTML5 videos(I have not personally tested this).

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
It's about time. Unfortunate that companies have to take such drastic measures but flash really is tired and outdated and in addition to being a security risk is grossly inefficient. There's no reason to use such antiquated programming when something much more efficient is available. Ads are annoying enough, the usually get loading priority over content and on slower connections it really is a bandwidth hog. For those who have limited internet bandwidth it's posing a cost to web surfers in the form of data use that is completely unnecessary. Most animated ads remind me of the old html 'blink' tags used in text anyway, it's annoying. Flash is a huge resource suck and needs to die off in peace.

well i hate to break your joy, ad developer here (i hate my job some times), as HTML5 ad's don't have the low file size restrictions that Flash had. on average, our Flash ads were only 40KB's while the new speck for HTML5 is 200KB's. also much of the library's we used for the more advanced flash ads are available in HTML5 which means, nothings changing when it comes to animations. the only thing were loosing is a file size restriction from a decade ago, the ability to compress complex images well, and everything's running at your refresh rate rather than 18-24fps.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I'm surprised this is only a "flash Ads" thing and not a all Ads thing.

I personally refuse to use the web browser on my phone because of annoying ads that take up the whole screen but leaves you with such a tiny close box there is a 90% chance you still click on the Ad when trying to close it. I wont even touch on Ad words or Word Sense that seems to turn every third word into a link, If you try to scroll the screen, chances are you will tap on a link and be redirected from your page.

I'm done, I refuse to use any browser unless I can install Adblock,. That solves the security and battery performance issue :)

Personally I run adblocker anyway so I'm not overly affected either. In general flash is antiquated. In many cases it's a resource hog as studies have shown with the reduced battery life and poor bandwidth utilization. It was discussed years ago when youtube was originally talking about moving away from flash and on to html5. There are more perks to html5 like seo usage which is important especially in page ranking and advertising. Flash isn't seo friendly in that regard.

http://thenextweb.com/dd/2014/04/19/rip-flash-html5-will-take-video-web-year/

It just needs to go. We all cried, but we all eventually gave up our atari 2600's, 8 tracks and time to do the same for flash. No joy broken here, the bandwidth reduction is precisely why youtube dumped flash. They reduced buffering of video content by 50-80% and got a 35% bandwidth reduction with better video quality.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/421827/scitech/technology/youtube-dumps-flash-adopts-html5-as-default-video-format

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
@thundervore You could just run Dolphin browser like me. It has addons like Adblock Plus so you never see an Ad while browsing the Internet. I have stopped using the Youtube app because of ads, I just watch Youtube through Dolphin with no ads as well. Firefox also has ad ons and works with adblock plus. I find it's a bit of an unstable browser though, crashes from time to time while Dolphin does not.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Flash is the only thing that works for online browser games, even including HTML5 unless the games are VERY simple.
What we need is a new version of Flash, that leaves out backwards compatibility and makes companies rewrite their applications to work with the new Flash.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The problem is that 'much more efficient' thing has 'much more vulnerabilities' when you are talking about online games that have to be verified at every turn to make sure people are not cheating.

Another reason to choose chrome.
This already existed with ad-block, so why ad it ?
Quite clear: Many companies figured out that they will show their content in the same format as their ads, so If you want to see the content, you have to disable ad-block and allow ads.

But if a huge % of the population use chrome and its automatically in the browser, companies wont will have to make the choice of loosing all that viewer base or use different form of advertising.

So in other words, google is making the internet a better place.

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I've already got an adblocker so it doesn't affect me.

It also won't affect me because I will not, under any circumstance, go to Chrome V45 - unless they bring back NPAPI support on plugins. I'm staying on V44.

Status
Not open for further replies.