Chrome Climbed Above Firefox in Market Share Ranking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rualphena

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Being from India I hate all the installers which download setup files on their own. When internet connection is erratic Chrome installers had failed several times to complete downloading the needed files. FF as a standalone installer is easier as I can make use of downloaders like Orbit which may resume and accelerate. In this context the speed difference between FF and Chrome hardly matters. The vast wealth of add-ons FF have accumulated makes it more enticing than the speedier browser which may have an advantage of about .01 seconds.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]droking[/nom]I smell masses of forced installs or w/e it is that google does to force its way onto many pc lol. I will never use Chrome... it reminds me too much of Apple for some reason.[/citation]

This is the comment I meant to comment on. ^

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]Unless I can get something like ad block plus in chrome without a bunch of work arounds i'll stick with FF[/citation]
... AdBlock Plus exists for Chrome... not something "like" it, but AdBlock Plus itself! I've been using it for a long time now...

cesar44

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
JohnnyLucky:

According to StatsCounter, M$ IE market share is presently 45,18% (http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-201009-201109-bar). So it's dropping but at a less steep rate that is mentioned in this article. The reason again is that the number the 41.66% number presented by StatsCounter doesn't include some versions like M$ IE 9.0 (http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-201009-201109).
Very messy presentation indeed ...

cesar44

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Wolfgang:

Taking a close look at http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-201009-201109-bar, their actual top 5 ratings are:

"Browser","Market Share % Sept 2010 to Sept 2011"
"IE",45.19
"Firefox",29.6
"Chrome",17.73
"Safari",4.99
"Opera",1.89

To me, this is a much more realistic situation: M$ IE is still the king of the hill but Firefox and Chrome are quietly eating its lunch ...

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]rualphena[/nom]... the speedier browser which may have an advantage of about .01 seconds.[/citation] More like 2 minutes in my case. The whole browser freezes up so you can't even tab over to another page while that one is loading. FF has had this behaviour on my machines since at least version 2.0.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]puddleglum[/nom]??? Just install it from the Chrome site like you do with Firefox from their site. It sped up my Chrom even faster than before. Speed is the whole reason I switched from Firefox. Firefox is just too dog gone slow.[/citation]

The speed gains from ABP are much more noticeable in FF than Chrome. That's because Chrome plugins are only allowed to change the way content is presented. So ABP on Chrome still let's all the ads and garbage be downloaded, it just doesn't display them to you. ABP on FF doesn't download the ads period.

Chrome will get a MASSIVE rise in market share once Ice Cream Sandwich becomes the standard Android OS. Why? It first Android that has the Chrome browser. Yep, there is currently no Google Chrome browser for Google Android - the world's most popular smartphone OS.

G

To you guys saying about the advertising, fair point, but let's not forget how good Chrome is.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]Unless I can get something like ad block plus in chrome without a bunch of work arounds i'll stick with FF[/citation]
There IS ad-block plus for chrome. Have you looked?

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]applefairyboy[/nom]I use Safari, it's just better.[/citation]
And in my experience, ON MACS, slower (than chrome or FF). That's partly due to the 'new tab' page, which has bloated, stupid graphics. The plain one in chrome works just fine.

rualphena

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Majority of the internet plans in India are based on the size of downloads.
Case 1: pay per GB. Case 2: Unlimited downloads but restriction in speed after downloading a limited size. In either case Chrome ABP unnecesarily consumes precious download even though it does not display it. You pay more if you use Chrome in the first case or reach the limit sooner in the latter case.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Well, since every laptop manufacturer advertises Windows 7, it's still balanced And there can't be a "trust" if you're advertising your own FREE product on your website[/citation]
I argued the same about IE with Windows, it's free and they don't prevent anyone else's browser being installed, but the EU saw it different.

justchuck69

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
stats counter states 38.9% for internet exploder 25% for firefox and only 22% for the second fastest browser out now so that must have been a 1 day fluke and not the norm

Status
Not open for further replies.