Chrome for Android/iOS Cuts Browsing Bandwidth in Half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I don't see how they could do this without using remote servers to process everything like Puffin browser does. However, while you can't know for certain if Puffin will keep your data secret, you know for a fact that Google will be using your data in every nafarious way possible.

So now Google will be able to track every single website you go to and how you interact with it, on the fly. This will be a gold mine for targeted advertising and three letter government agencies alike.

Goodbye Chrome. I just wish Firefox for android wasn't so crappy.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Couldn't agree more with FF for Android being so crappy. It's easily my browser of choice but Mozilla still needs to keep the memory leak add ons DOWN. I don't like the giant info mining tactics that =every "Free" product Google offers.

Google chrome sends your request data in so many directions, I just quit using it.Also, my Android phone (S3) was recently updated and it heats up now and runs like junk. Before that, it was a great phone. If Google weren't so in bed with 'the man' and 'the man's' media (convincing people that 'Googling' is the way to go!), I think people would quit using it.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Now that's a misleading title. It reads "reduce bandwidth in half" when it means "reduce bandwidth usage in half". Really guys, you almost made me uninstall Chrome, as opposed to promote such a nice feature.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Opera for Android had this feature for some time. The data is compressed on Opera's servers, then sent to the phone. Unfortunately, the page quality is also reduced (there are display errors), and loading a page takes longer on my Galaxy S2. I expect this to work the same on Chrome as on Opera, and have the same drawbacks.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

I can't get pass the fact that typing something into Firefox's search/address bar and hitting enter/search doesn't perform a search, it tries to goto a website using what you typed as an address. It is clearly meant to perform a search as well because the enter button's icon is a magnifying glass. The only way to search is to type something and click on the suggestion provided by one of the search providers. I can't figure how to change this annoying default behavior for the life of me.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Opera for Android had this feature for some time. The data is compressed on Opera's servers, then sent to the phone. Unfortunately, the page quality is also reduced (there are display errors), and loading a page takes longer on my Galaxy S2. I expect this to work the same on Chrome as on Opera, and have the same drawbacks.
Yeah I was just thinking to myself that Opera has had this option for ages. My old WinMo phone had a version of Opera Mobile with Opera Turbo (the name for their server-side compression) which did greatly reduce bandwidth consumption.

I usually kept it disabled because when I had a good connection it was actually faster with it off (hence why it is disabled by default on Chrome, I'd imagine), and I had unlimited data so it wasn't at all desirable. However it came in handy when I went someplace where I had a really piss poor connection. Nowadays I'd only turn it on if I got low on remaining data, which would be basically never (I usually download anything of great significance on wifi anyway).

seinfeld1123

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Am I the only one that is happy with Dolphin browser? I use ver9 set to desktop mode and love it.
dolphin is alright except it keeps adjusting my audio so when im listening to music ect. i turn down all notifcations. when i open dolphin it keeps turning it back up so every alert i get interupts music playback

Status
Not open for further replies.