Chrome for Windows 8 Metro Coming Soon, Says Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I think Microsoft wants to follow the Apple model and have a conforming experience on Windows WART. However, that strays from what made Windows good

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Whether you like it or not, software companies are going to have to support Windows 8 unless they want to fail. Just because we don't like the operating system, doesn't mean they don't want to make money.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]deejaybos[/nom]Whether you like it or not, software companies are going to have to support Windows 8 unless they want to fail. Just because we don't like the operating system, doesn't mean they don't want to make money.[/citation]
Not Necessarily.

If Windows 8 becomes the next Vista, it will be ridiculed and you might see Windows resort back to their old ways. All depends on the demand market for Windows 8. If it is very successful in both the mobile tablet space and desktop space, then I can see a lot of developers push for metro integration (for ARM at least). Developers aren't going to have many issues worrying about x86, windows 8 will have the same program compatibility as XP or 7.

Personally to me, the whole metro-ui is a complete turn-off for me. I really like what they've done to improve the performance over win7, but I can't see myself users the

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
What I meant to say was:
I can't see myself using Windows 8 on a desktop with the metro UI.
To me, it seems like it would ruin the whole user experience having to use that tile interface. I'd rather prefer windows 7, all my most used apps are already pinned to my taskbar. (I know the desktop is still available in win8, but you have to constantly go through the metro interface, I still use the start menu and don't see the point of leaving the desktop as a replacement. To me, its a step backwords in usability and experience.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I tried Windows 8 Release Preview and after 30 minutes removed that garbage from VMWare. Haven't seen biggest crap than Windows 8 in my life. That Metro shit doesn't belong to Desktop.

Vista was more broken because of poor drivers support then anything. While it was more resource intensive then Windows XP and even Windows 7, It was honestly not THAT bad.

I picked it up when SP1(Along with an extra 4 gigs of memory since it was cheap) came out and had no issues aside of Nvidia's bad 8800GTX drivers(9 months later those drivers did get fixed, but that was way too long). Creatives drivers while bad due to removal of features did seem to work ok(Daniel_K driver pack got all my features back).

Windows 8 may be in for trouble because it seems to be against multi-tasking(in metro).If i use the built in PDF reader, it seems to only be able to have ONE pdf open at a time(this is just not good for cross referencing papers). Great Idea for tablets and people that use the computer only for "social" networking, but for real work, its not that good. Having the desktop does help this, but it just does not feel quite right to have to play back and forth with metro to desktop a lot.

Also, would be nice to see some Media Center updates, that could get a metro touch and maybe even benefit from it.

All in all, once you get used to 8, its not ALL bad, but I think it has more bumps then my XP to Vista(truth be told, I did not use xp much if at all after Vista was installed. I kept it, but just never had a need to go back and use it) trip. Windows 8 has me going back to 7 a fair bit for some things(I just find it faster to use. Not faster in speed, but faster to get things done).

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i just love google's strategy. they make stuff for every platform: windows, apple, linux, etc. no platform bias equal maximum returns. :p

it's too bad nintendo isn't like that. i can't stand their underpowered/stupid peripheral consoles (wii, wii u) but love their characters and games. it would be super if they had zelda and mario on android, ios, windows, etc. instead, we end up playing 'clone' versions on non-nintendo platforms. :(

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Not Necessarily.If Windows 8 becomes the next Vista, it will be ridiculed and you might see Windows resort back to their old ways.[/citation]

Did you see Windows 7 revert back to what XP was? No. Microsoft will push its agenda regardless of what the public response is. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a long but limited lifespan, so regardless of how much people hate Metro they will adopt it.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]deejaybos[/nom]Whether you like it or not, software companies are going to have to support Windows 8 unless they want to fail. Just because we don't like the operating system, doesn't mean they don't want to make money.[/citation]

Dude, they do this kind of crap anyways... even if it's doomed or not...
Look at Vista... They had to make anything that was written specifically for vista work on windows 7, just so that the software companies didn't balk too much...

It's just the way it goes...

Google doing this with chrome is not surprising and hardly worth any news...

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I can now see why experts say the Desktop will go bye-bye, because Microsoft is killing them off with Windows 8.[/citation]
Experts can say what they want, but as long as there is enough consumer demand for desktops or something that fills exactly the same roles, there will be a reason to sell desktops.

The way it works is: we demand a product, Microsoft (and etc.) sells it to us. MS is kind of trying to flip that around by convincing us we need something else, and I think its just going to cost them market share.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Microsoft can't compete in the mobile, so they want to force every desktop computer to be used as a mobile. Windows 8 is just the intermediate step, if it's a success, Windows 9 won't even have a desktop mode. Microsoft can lose 30% of the desktop market, gain 10% of the mobile market, and consider that a huge success.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Not Necessarily. If Windows 8 becomes the next Vista[/citation]

While you will see some shift in direction it will mostly be improvements to the problems. Windows 7 which is quite popular today is a direct successor to Vista and not XP. They didn't go back to the drawing board or give up on Vista and revert to XP as their platform.

It is unlikely Windows 8 will fail so badly that development of applications for it will be totally wasted. Metro may change drastically, may shift away from being the primary interface but will likely be there in Windows 9 and 10.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom].Windows 8 may be in for trouble because it seems to be against multi-tasking(in metro).If i use the built in PDF reader, it seems to only be able to have ONE pdf open at a time(this is just not good for cross referencing papers). Great Idea for tablets and people that use the computer only for "social" networking, but for real work, its not that good. Having the desktop does help this, but it just does not feel quite right to have to play back and forth with metro to desktop a lot.[/citation]

I disagree as to your social networking comment. The social network crowd is just as likely as anyone to want 2 browsers and 5 other applications open at once. For any company to limit multi-tasking in today's age is simply insane.

I think this could be a much bigger blunder than Vista. Vista.. at least worked. It was bloated and had driver issues, but it was still essentially a decent OS. Metro, on the other hand, seems to be anti-consumer, which could have long term consequences for the company.

Apple will be the first winner. After that who knows........... Red Hat maybe.... or maybe even Chrome.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]i just love google's strategy. they make stuff for every platform: windows, apple, linux, etc. no platform bias equal maximum returns.[/citation]

That would be because Google doesn't sell software, but sells advertising space and your personal information instead.

I'm skipping Windows 8 so whatever...

Neither OS is bad, it's the in between that seems to MS's problem. Both ME & Vista were crap. Now if you disagree then IDK what to tell you. I have a Windows 8 installed on a dedicated drive, and I don't like it a bit. It's great if all I had were tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.