[SOLVED] Chrome freezes as it runs out of RAM and it's not using the page file ?

empleat

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017
Hey,

Chrome freezes when RAM is full. I have 16GB RAM + 16GB page file, only 1k tabs...

I used to run Chrome on my old computer on 16GB RAM with 3k tabs no problems, Chrome was simply using page file! It wasn't even slow...

But now for some reason when my RAM is full Chrome freezes!

Any ideas? Google support is useless! I need my tabs...

PROBLEM SOLVED: you have to turn on automatic page file, even I have only 13 GB and used 50% it starts committing RAM to page file and no crash 1600 tabs...

Last edited:
Solution
buy more ram. Page file is a slow answer. If you use that many tabs then ram is answer. relying on storage just adds more unnecessary actions to drive. Sure, most can do lots but I think its easier to just add ram and let chrome use that instead.

Colif

Win 11 Master
buy more ram. Page file is a slow answer. If you use that many tabs then ram is answer. relying on storage just adds more unnecessary actions to drive. Sure, most can do lots but I think its easier to just add ram and let chrome use that instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellfire13
Solution

Mawla

Commendable
May 21, 2021
Excuse me, this may be a stupid question. 1k, 3k tabs on Chrome? Does that mean what I think it does - thousands of tabs open in the browser? Do people regularly use that many? Chrome is my main browser but I use no more than 10 or a dozen tabs at a time, maybe up to 20 on rare occasions.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Excuse me, this may be a stupid question. 1k, 3k tabs on Chrome? Does that mean what I think it does - thousands of tabs open in the browser?
Yes
Do people regularly use that many?
Some do
Chrome is my main browser but I use no more than 10 or a dozen tabs at a time, maybe up to 20 on rare occasions.
I close mine before they get to 20.

I know there are people that use lots, I am sure they have their reasons... I can't think of any. Traders etc might want them, idk.

empleat

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017
Having issue with this again!

don't know where to post, as chrome forums you don't get answer ever...

Chrome tabs keep crashing, or I should specify (it is one current tab which I Am viewing)! Today RAM was full when it happened, but yesterday there was 6 GB free. So it doesn't seem that's it. I had this problem like 6 months ago, but it went away since I set page file to system managed (there is also space on disk). But now it started happening again randomly! It is so annoying! I also run Firefox besides chrome and if I open a lot of tabs there, it looks like it creates problem. But again it happens even with free RAM! Note: RAM never used to be problem, I used to run 3k tabs out of 16GB RAM and it never crashed with page file in like 2016... Now I have only like 130 in Chrome.

When I think about it Chrome might be able to run of page file without problems, and it is still fast even if your RAM is full. But Firefox if I open couple dozens of youtube tabs RAM gets instantly full LMAO... I use 2 browsers for convenience... Well maybe I should switch to something else except Firefox, it seems to be problem, if I think about it... On the other hand why Chrome crashes then, not sure. But Firefox could interfere dunno.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click desktop
choose task manager
choose performance tab
Memory tab
How much showing in paged and non paged pool?

curious how much in page file.
how big is it now? is it still 16gb or has it ballooned out since its auto managed?

How often do you restart PC? not just shut down, use the restart command in power menu?

empleat

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017
Committed memory is 19.6 out of 23.6GB - currently when 12.3GB RAM (Compressed 0) is used. Paged pool 287MB, non-paged pool 176MB which is weird. I was testing with full RAM and it was fine, Firefox was reducing RAM usage and total RAM usage never went above 95% and lowered to 91% even. This was like with 15.5GB RAM being full, but then RAM usage dropped to 11GB and tab crashes started to happening again in Chrome. While previously when RAM was full I opened additional 150tabs in chrome and dozens of youtube tabs in Firefox and it was fine. But after I closed them, it crashed after moment with 11GB only hmmmmm...

Well page file doubled from 4GB to 8GB. 6 months ago I used to have page file of size about my RAM, but it used to crash. Since I put it to system manage it was fine till now!

Oh, I restarted a quite a lot recently. But I usually just shut down, even I restart sometimes a lot, if I Am testing something.

EDIT: I tried replicate the problem in Incognito and it doesn't seem to happen after awhile!

I don't have many extensions, but I will try some troubleshootings steps. If it reoccurs, I will let you know.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS