Chrome Now Warns Users Before They Visit Harmful Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Anyone else here using Windows 10, i used Chrome on W10 and got a virus, not even sure how, i did not visit any "questionable" website, so the virus is every time you click on something there's a pop up with some sort of an ad. I go into Windows Defender and it was actually complete disabled without an option to turn it back on. I run like 5 different virus, malware programs and they do not find anything.

When i used Explorer i did not have any issues at all.

Had to re install W10 again and using Explorer only, so far no issues.

I was wondering if Chrome maybe somehow unprotected because W10 is still a Beta, for example i know for sure i can not make Gmail phone calls because you need a plug in from Chrome and that plug in does not work on W10.

Why is it that these site blocking services tend to block my favorite hacking sites that are not "harmful" to my computer at all. Is it a type of censorship? Its good that you can bypass the blocking.

Problem is most computers I repair has crome infected. Usually, the first thing I do is uninstall chrome and the run adwcleaner, roguekiller ect... (bleepingcomputer.com)
and then the computer runst fine.

Chrome is java of last year. Easy to infect by driveby.

jbeanfish

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
Anti-virus is hokum. Just gives a false sense of security. Doesn't actually catch much of anything in the real world until it's too late.

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
I tried Chrome for a whole two seconds before I uninstalled it. The fact they don't let you disable cookies is a scam in itself, after I saw that, goodbye Chrome. No user options, Google controls your browser, not you. They do this so they can spy on you to sell ads, among other reasons.

Both of my friends absolutely stubbornly swore by Chrome until recently, when they both got viruses at the same time from the Chrome browser. I told them and I've told them all along, but nooo they don't listen to me. Chrome is junk, it's purpose is not to browse the web, it's purpose is to spy on you and it's very apparent. It's glitchy, uses a ton of RAM, has lack of user control, and is obviously an unsafe browser.

I've used firefox for as long as I can remember, since firefox 2.0 I believe, and never had any problems, so I see no reason to stop using it and I continue to use it. When Chrome came out, I laughed. A Google browser? A lot of people started using it and swore by it. Eventually, I tried it.... for two seconds as mentioned above.

So, Google expanded the list of "harmful sites"? A previous comment mentioned censorship, and that's exactly what it is. Google colludes with government. I can't even keep track of how many times I've gone to basically any website I want on firefox, and want to show a friend something and their stupid Chrome browser blocks the website. During the whole Mike Brown ordeal, I wanted to show my friends a graph of witness testimonies and their Chrome browser blocked the website, my firefox worked great. This is extremely suspicious of Google to label a website with a graph of witness testimonies in favor of Mike Brown as an attack site during a time like that. Other things they label as "attack sites" are pirating websites and other similar websites, which is, by definition, censorship.

Before anybody scolds me, I know some of it depends on your DNS, as I've had certain DNS servers that like to block certain websites, but most of the blocking is done by Google. Also, I realize some of the blocking stems from user complaints. There are some websites that really should be blocked, but what they do choose to block is what concerns me, and I don't trust Google as far as the two o's in their name.

And... the government is coming for the entire internet now. Say goodbye to internet freedom, for now...

Anyone else here using Windows 10, i used Chrome on W10 and got a virus, not even sure how, i did not visit any "questionable" website, so the virus is every time you click on something there's a pop up with some sort of an ad. I go into Windows Defender and it was actually complete disabled without an option to turn it back on. I run like 5 different virus, malware programs and they do not find anything.

When i used Explorer i did not have any issues at all.

Had to re install W10 again and using Explorer only, so far no issues.

I was wondering if Chrome maybe somehow unprotected because W10 is still a Beta, for example i know for sure i can not make Gmail phone calls because you need a plug in from Chrome and that plug in does not work on W10.
windows defender gets only 70% of viruses. Try AVG, it has been rated to get 95% and is free. Also run spybot S&D and Malwarebytes scans once a month for non-active protection. And a rootkit remover once a month too.

achoo2

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
It's too bad the story doesn't describe how the blocking actually works. Is it a distributed blacklist, or does the browser phone home requesting a green light for every site visited? It's bad enough that Google wants every single website owner to register with them - enough is enough.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I spent last night running malware removers after adding several extensions to Chrome from the Chrome store. Apparently Google is more concerned with collecting your data by any means, than they are ensuring the safety of the apps and extensions they distribute. Would be nice if Google would put more effort into safety/security and a bit less into trying to sell people's lives.....

Why is it that these site blocking services tend to block my favorite hacking sites that are not "harmful" to my computer at all. Is it a type of censorship? Its good that you can bypass the blocking.

Because it is what "they" deem to be harmful, just like taking windows malicious software removal tool. This only removes stuff that MS thinks is harmful to them.

G

I'm using Chrome on windows 10. No problem whatsoever so far. Been using chrome for years, never had a virus except that Snap.Do which was a pain to remove, came with a software that I used to thing was legitimate. Chrome seems very secure, except yes they do record everything you do. So does IE. Use the IE on Server 2012, you'll see what type of info you're sending all the time with the "normal" IE, to various sites. It's eye-opening.

I never use anti-virus software, too often they delete good files just because they don't understand them. If you make your own software, see all your compiled software just be deleted because they haven't seen those executables before, it's a bad joke.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

By default, Chrome allows websites to force downloads without notifying the user until AFTER the virus has already been downloaded. Chrome allows access to a mic and webcam if present. Chrome also allows websites to change default protocol handlers. Chrome also allows websites to gain direct access to your computer. That's 4 things that should be "deny by default" that are not. We all know most users are too ignorant to think/read prior to clicking "accept" or "allow"....

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I noticed it did not prompt before downloading as well. I just can't believe people even use this worthless browser.

Also, where's all the Chrome lovers? Nowhere to be found on this article... kind of a boring thread with no debate. I guess because there really is no debate, facts are facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.