Chrome OS May Support "Legacy" PC Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
"My experience with virtual machines also shows that they run quite slowly--fine for cross-browser testing, but not the kind of 3D modeling and video editing software that are the main reasons I don't think I'll be able to switch to Chrome."

What? Hasn't Chrome been described and marketed as a cloud based Netbook operating system? This guy really thought he was going to be able to completely switch to chrome and do 3D modeling?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
So, are they saying the Windows NT family apps are "legacy".

They run an OS based on something created in the 1960s, and call apps that run on the dominant operating system "legacy"?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]But can it ........ install Crysis?[/citation]

That was horrible but I laughed.

But seriously. "Chromoting"? Marketing needs to give it a rest and stop attempting to make catchphrases. Do Google employees now get Chromotions?

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]So it has the google equivalent of DosBox. I like that, since I play many old school games.[/citation]
Where does it say anything like this? They're talking about something more akin to RDP. You'd be better off porting Windows and DOS emulators to Chrome OS.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
The chrome team should put that as an option - adding option to run legacy apps under chrome is like putting used batteries with a new one but its a good challenge to the team.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Maybe I can install X-wing and Tie-Fighter, My old duke nuke'm...Damn it. I don't have my my 5 1/4" drive anymore. Maybe Google could bundle something up...Call it the Chromo-drive "It plays all legacy games from windows 98 down to Windows 3.1" Now that would be awsome. Hahahaha

G

Gosh what a waste of energie, ink and resource.
Like they wil create a new cash cow like cable tv.

who care about those cazy`s who dream to put us back
to time-sharing, compuserve and like... remenber the sixty`s
was in the past not the future.... gosh.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
It would be nice if it included a windows RDP client and be able to run RemoteApp applications from a Windows Terminal Server. I could see that as being extremely useful in my company.

eatmeimadanish

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
Are people seriously complaining that they won't be able to run photoshop or video editing / rendering software in Chrome... on a web based OS meant for cheap devices? I won't be buying a honda civic either, because I tend to haul 3 tons of rocks around for my job, thus Honda Civics are useless. Thats about the sense I got from this article.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]eatmeimadanish[/nom]Are people seriously complaining that they won't be able to run photoshop or video editing / rendering software in Chrome... on a web based OS meant for cheap devices? I won't be buying a honda civic either, because I tend to haul 3 tons of rocks around for my job, thus Honda Civics are useless. Thats about the sense I got from this article.[/citation]
If Chrome was meant to be an OS to run a simple standalone device like a smartphone I can understand its light webapps, but as soon as you put it on a laptop/netbook with USB ports or even install on a standard PC people will wanto edit pictures, burn onto CDs or DVDs, listen to their music and attach printers.

Sure a webapp may be available but people who have paid $685 for CS3 will feel a bit upset that compatability doesnt stretch that far.

Give the world compatability and you can own the world.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
"I'm struggling to see the usefulness of this," he said. "I'm not going to keep my Windows Laptop running to use programs such as the Adobe suite. My experience with virtual machines also shows that they run quite slowly--fine for cross-browser testing, but not the kind of 3D modeling and video editing software that are the main reasons I don't think I'll be able to switch to Chrome." fail(?) comment(?) Chrome OS is a web app oriented OS! that means internet all the way.. why would you even install adobe suit on a netbook/tablet/smartphone anyway? o_O The legacy apps I would assume that are far more common and simple applications than adobe suit. I guess..

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
They are referring to the older business legacy apps that MS makes you buy their higher end, more expensive Vista, I mean Winblows 7 to get. 7 is nothing more than Vista with tweaks done. Don't believe me, in denial. I just put 7 64bit on my gaming rig and the same display driver works and is downloaded for both. That is enough to convince me, same kernel.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Dkz[/nom]why would you even install adobe suit on a netbook/tablet/smartphone anyway?[/citation]
My understanding is that Google only intend netbook and lite device usage to start with and full PC usage at a later stage. We have already seen the stories of banning Windows over at Google HQ.

If this is the case do you think that Chrome will have 2 differant versions, one for lite devices and one for desktop PCs or it will be the same for both. If it is the same for both then no one will use it for desktops as their software will be useless. No games, no video editing.

So far no-one can give a straight answer, I say "will it offer compatability?"
People say "why would you want it?"
Answer a question with a question basically means no. It won't offer any compatability and you are back to the same problem as Apple, with a fancy looking UI and having to pay for every App from the sole vendor and all your previously acquired software may as well go in the bin.

Give us an OS that can do everything, then we can choose wether to run bloated mega-programs or just browse funny vids on Youtube. Making it run fast is then the problem of the hardware vendor, but at least give us the choice instead of limiting us, after all, it's our money to waste isn't it?

G

All *nix builds have bearly any support for applications. Google, don't take away the the word application.

Status
Not open for further replies.