Chrome OS Notebooks Has Subscription Fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ares1214

Splendid
Thats actually incredibly attractive to your average person. I mean, pay the lower upfront cost, do the monthly fee, and not have to worry about upgrades. No problems or worries. Id be outraged if it was mandatory, but since it isnt, I actually dont mind the idea...

There has to be more to this story.
Like Google rolling out some premium services that run on the Chrome netbooks and tablets?

Otherwise isn't this buying hardware on an installment plan? At least that is what it sounds like to me. After all if you purchase the hardware outright there are no subscription fees.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Depends on the price... if the monthly charge over time is less than what you typically pay to refresh your system every couple of years then it's a good deal - but somehow I doubt that'll be the case for most people.

G

I'll never understand those that will take a permanent subscription fee over a one time cost. It just doesn't make sense, as in most cases you'll be paying a minimum of twice as much if you go the subscription route. If you can't afford the one-time cost, you definitely can't afford an unending subscription fee. Good for google, I suppose. Just means more profit for them.

Automatic hardware upgrades would be nice, but it really is just a matter of what the cost difference is. If it's cheaper to stay on subscription than replace the hardware yourself, then google won't price it that low as it does them no good.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]arcsox[/nom]I'll never understand those that will take a permanent subscription fee over a one time cost. It just doesn't make sense, as in most cases you'll be paying a minimum of twice as much if you go the subscription route. If you can't afford the one-time cost, you definitely can't afford an unending subscription fee. Good for google, I suppose. Just means more profit for them.Automatic hardware upgrades would be nice, but it really is just a matter of what the cost difference is. If it's cheaper to stay on subscription than replace the hardware yourself, then google won't price it that low as it does them no good.[/citation]

lets say a net book cost 300$

getting it for free with a 2 year 20$ a month fee would cost 180 more in the long run, but you don't have to save up for months to get it. if i didn't have enough to buy it out right and needed it, i would defiantly consider it a viable option.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
10-20 a month. WOW. Really, first they want you to save all your stuff online and want you to use only a web browser, now they want subscriptions. No way, no matter how cheap it is, I consider a windows laptop and backup to be cheaper in the long term.

ltbob

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]That, too, but 10.10 overheats my Eee PC 900 like mad. I only use it for programming.[/citation]

I How does that happen o_O

epaalx

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]... first they want you to save all your stuff online and want you to use only a web browser, now they want subscriptions.
[/citation]
Err, you didn't realise that this was Google's plan all along? It's Google's wish that everything you do on a computer (or even off computer, somehow) goes through Google.

G

I would have preferred a one-time charge. But, since this is a fundamentally new product, I expect at least one or two new machines to come out fairly soon (at least one year apart) so paying $240 per year would be OK with me. In addition, getting hardware insurance (need to the see the details) makes it more attractive. I'm not a technology freak, so I'll be more insistent on buying outright the third or so generation of this device.

findmike

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Just to throw in my two cents, I know Chrome is supposed to be entirely cloud based and I get the idea it's also pretty much unlimited or at least extensive storage. While lots of places offer a few gigs of free storage they all let you pay monthly for more space. If the idea is that you get to have everything you do and media you buy backed up in a top of the line fully redundant data center and never have to worry about losing anything ever, that's not that bad of a idea, especially for those that don't otherwise backup important stuff.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
with all the unstoppable flow of tons of smartphones and netbooks and tablets and what not, will it not affect the already fragile environment with more waste?

Hope manufacturers have good recycling plans..

I think it is china that will mostly be affected by all the manufacturing activities, since all of it happen in china!

MountainFlip

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
Think about your parent's and grandparent's. I will gladly migrate my parent's over to this type of setup.

Thank you Google!

I am not a fan of the monthly subscription charge, but this article is very speculative so we will see what their offer really is.

G

I have to admit that this would be a very tempting offer if u get extra storage + premium apps access through your gmail account. Use this thing as a laptop backup everything in the cloud plus use it as a storage device to backup and access important stuff from the desktop. I would probably boycott it but I admit it would be tempting, plus real insurance, not the 1 year plans that exist in my country

[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]Thats actually incredibly attractive to your average person. I mean, pay the lower upfront cost, do the monthly fee, and not have to worry about upgrades. No problems or worries. Id be outraged if it was mandatory, but since it isnt, I actually dont mind the idea...[/citation]
thats an f***ing joke. may aswell just rent a laptop and update when its obsolete.

G

I just don't see any reason to purchase this. I mean, Android is awesome, but this chrome os looks pretty stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.