Chrome OS Notebooks Will Be Windows-proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomsSound

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
It's only a matter of time before someone puts windows on there... just to say they did it first. Then.... whole slew of how-to sites.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tomssound[/nom]It's only a matter of time before someone puts windows on there... just to say they did it first. Then.... whole slew of how-to sites.[/citation]

Yes, then a whole slew of "OMG Y IZ MY CHROME NETBOOK SO SLOW WIT WINDOWZ???"

Erm, cuz its not designed for it.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]Yes, then a whole slew of "OMG Y IZ MY CHROME NETBOOK SO SLOW WIT WINDOWZ???"Erm, cuz its not designed for it.[/citation]
Actually they WONT be saying that, no caps lock key haha

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Excellent tool for field teams in a commerical environment. They can boot to browser in less than 20 sec and go. For those just browsing, email, and standard office docs.....this is a winner. Windows has so much overhead.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
"Google doesn't expect there to be many support issues, however, as it feels that the OS is simple enough for most users."

Google doesn't get it on support. Nexus users complain about it. Google Docs and Google Apps users complain so much they eventually pack up and go to Microsoft BPOS (Office365).

The fact that they are releasing a 1.0 operating system and expecting few support issues is laughable.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Actually they WONT be saying that, no caps lock key haha[/citation]
LULZ!!

[citation][nom]randomstar[/nom]Is it just me or does that look like to old Dell inspiron b 1400?still have one for basic browsing for use by guests at the house..[/citation]
Beacuse that "IS" what you are looking at. The Dell 1400 is a Pentium II? III? The power on the Google Netbook cannot be more than that! BTW, I have two of those Dell 1400's and a Compaq Armada as dead paperweight.

G

Sadly, Not supporting a separate OS install seems too much like Apple for my taste. I love Google's products but I can't say I like this move. Even if it is not completely optimized for windows, once I buy a piece of hardware, I like the flexibility to do whatever I want with it (within reason).

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Google doesn't expect there to be many support issues, however, as it feels that the OS is simple enough for most users

That never quite works in practice, no matter how much Google want's it to work.

G

@DB-Hey, this Cr48 isn't targeted at consumers. It's a giveaway for developers that are pledging to develop apps for it.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]DB-Hey[/nom] Even if it is not completely optimized for windows, once I buy a piece of hardware, I like the flexibility to do whatever I want with it (within reason).[/citation]

When you buy a toaster do you wonder if you can upgrade the heating mechanism? When you buy a new telephone do you wonder if you can mod it to play Crysis? Maybe we should just look at this little netbook as a tool; it does what it does, and to expect anymore is like wanting a hammer that can function as a screwdriver. Sure you could design a hammer with a screw driver on the end of the handle, but would anyone really want to use it?

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]I thought google was open? Even apple doesn't block out other OS'es[/citation]
Openness doesn't include the requirement of using more expensive hardware so that less efficient OS's have enough processing power to run. They picked hardware that would run Chrome OS. Minimum/recommended requirements for it are probably waaaaaaaaay below the minimum requirements for Windows. The fact that they didn't include a 160GB hard drive when all they need is a tiny flash chip says nothing about openness... it's about cost-effectiveness. Equipping this with hardware necessary for Windows would make it little different than a standard netbook. The way it is now, it could probably be much cheaper.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
When you limit a system in functionality, basically selling a netbook but with less functionality than a netbook, then you will lose sales.

Unless the chrome netbook is significantly cheaper than a netbook, (well below $299) no one with an IQ above 50 will buy it.

cloud computing will never beat a full on OS in terms of reliability and functionality, and responsiveness for light tasks.

For a $300 netbook with a 1.66GHz intel atom, it is easy to dualboot windows xp, ubuntu and even the mac os if you are ok with the lengthy install process.

So far, the chrome netbook seems to offer far fewer features than even a smartphone.

Their site talks about slow bootup times.

my core 2 based laptop boots windows xp in about 17 seconds to a completely usable state where there is no additional loading. If I was to upgrade from the 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM drive,it would load even faster.

Chrome netbooks are so far useless. while web browsing and web apps can be good, people want more than that. would you buy a iphone if the only features it offered was a web browser and a phone feature and 100% nothing else (other than the option to use web apps?

G

Lack of a Caps Lock key can be easily fixed!

Just place a small, yet just heavy enough weight on the Shift Key and Voila! You've got your Caps Lock! :lol:

Or you could just use an adjustable clamp on the edge of the keyboard or laptop to hold the Shift key down. :p

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]Excellent tool for field teams in a commerical environment. They can boot to browser in less than 20 sec and go. For those just browsing, email, and standard office docs.....this is a winner. Windows has so much overhead.[/citation]
But does it run Citrix

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]I thought google was open? Even apple doesn't block out other OS'es[/citation]
to add, they never said you couldn't install windows onto the netbook. they simply said it wouldn't be loaded with windows when first bought.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tomssound[/nom]It's only a matter of time before someone puts windows on there... just to say they did it first. Then.... whole slew of how-to sites.[/citation]

10 Bucks says they put an ARM Processor in it and it will never run any flavor of Windows. Maybe a Linux Distribution but no Windows ever.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
History just keeps repeating: iOpener, webplayer, audrey, first eeePeeC.

Although Asus was successful with eeePeeC, maybe Google wants to ride this wave.

These watered-down computers only appeal as fodder for hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.