Chrome OS Recovery Tool - Backing it up to External Hard Drive

Nov 1, 2018
Chrome Recovery Tool - Backup?
I recently got a chromebook and decided to make a recovery drive so that I could change the SSD out for more space on the device. After successfully doing so, I thought it might be a good idea to back up my recovery drive and put it on an external hard drive. However, when putting my Chrome Recovery Tool into my personal laptop (Windows 10 laptop), it displayed "Must format /x: Drive". X being that it said I needed to format several drives and it overloaded my laptop. I had to go into task manager to shut down the process after removing the hard drive.

Sorry for the long description. Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone know why this issue occurred? Does anyone know a work around? I simply want to transfer some files to my external hard drive through my laptop, but Chrome OS doesn't want to play nice. I'm wondering if its some sort of file format issue that's breaking the regular Windows 10 processes.

TL;DR: How can I back up a Chrome OS recovery tool (on flash drive) to an external hard drive?