Chrome Surges Past IE Market Share for the First Time

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Why is OPERA not even mentioned in figures here? They have innovated & contributed very well in the past 2 years. Am I the only person on earth using Opera on a desktop? :( I love it, & I like Chrome too, but you cannot customize the shorcut keys in Chrome is a deal breaker for me. :)

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Tried Firefox, it is okay, but I am one of those in the minority on these tech sites that likes IE...chrome...I'll pass...tried it about a year ago, and I didn't like it.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I can't see a permanent overtaking happen anytime soon, it's not just schools its business as well, a lot of the bigger corporations that have the millions of workers have a locked down profile so only the incumbent IE is available and users have no option to install an alternative....Sure there will be the odd company that allows local admin rights and people put whatever they want on, but the ability to install a browser is no different than installing any other kind of software and thats a BIG no-no from the Security departments perspective. So unless they pre-load your system with Firefox or Chrome then I think IE will be safe Monday to Friday.[/citation]
I can see a permanent overtake happening, simply because IE is already saturated. Most every computer (company and residential) has it installed and in use. So the current usage of IE has already taken into account every business that uses IE as it is. New businesses do form daily, however IE is probably not gaining too much extra ground in businesses since they already have it. With Chrome though, I think that residential use of web browsers has a faster turnover from IE -> non-IE browsers.

Plus, the fact that Chrome doesn't really obey good Windows program practice. In my school alone, so many instances of Chrome had been installed, simply because it avoids the use of "Program Files" and UAC. And also because nowadays for schools, most everybody has a computer of their own, and more and more people are shifting over to Chrome for the speed and apps.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Why is THG so obsessed with browser share stats? Do we really need another news story on this every few days? It's a web browser for God's sake. Why would the average reader here give a crap about what browser someone else is using on a Satureday when it is partly cloudy and between 47 and 52 degrees F in a leap year when the ground hog has seen his shadow? How about posting some news that actually matters or is at least remotely interesting?

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Like hiruu, I seem to be a pretty lonely bird when it comes to browsers.. I have no issues with IE, and it's still my #1 browser. I work in IT, and I am developing websites, and I have FF & Chrome in use all the time. But honestly... I don't have "personal preferences" anymore. And as QEFX said - all of major browsers are just fine for any user nowdays. I used to have bunch of add-ons and plug-ins in my browsers, even whole shells (early tabbed browsing days in IE). Now? I don't have any in any of them. Ok, except Firebug in FF. But I don't even notice when I go from IE -> FF -> Chrome anymore. I just click address bar and type. And browse. That's it. And I'm very glad that we have 3 strong browsers, and hopefully we'll keep all three of them for a long long time to come. And don't wish death to IE. It's better to wish it a fast development and good progress, just the same as with FF & Chrome. I like having options... My biggest wish is actually to keep those 3 to around 30% each, so they keep competing.

elfsun

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Really?That's great.I know one day chrome will outstrip IE but didn't think so fast. I don't wanna say IE sucks, but compared with chrome,firefox and Avant browser I used, it really open page slowly and I often get javascript error now and then.You know Avant has trident, grecko and webkit three rendering engines,but I rarely use the IE engine in it.

G

I moved away from chrome to IE 9. IE9 is really a good browsers atleast on Windows 7. Chrome and Firefox are not needed. Even all google website like gmail youtube work with good speed on IE9. I dont knwo what benchmarck software shows, but in practical like IE 9 is faster as compared to chrome.

G

I was surprised to read that IE is bigger than Firefox. A few years ago I saw this kind of statistics and Firefox was at least double the market share of IE. But on the other hand, IE is a much better browser now, with tabs and other useful features from Firefox.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]"We aren't upgrading from IE6, our tech department has a bigger fish to fry."Yeah, my school is still using that dinosaur. At least they upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP, in 2009. Though there was a hospital that was still using Windows NT 4.0 since last year.[/citation]
lol... one school I know of still uses XP on old Dell GX260s (yep, pentium 4s), and they have Firefox 3 installed. Not 3.6, not 3.5, but 3.0(.10). Seriously. Oh, and they also have norton AV 2005 or something, as well as CRT monitors from 2000. Seriously. It's pathetic.

robojox

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I think everything has improved alot. IE8 was bloated and annoying. I think the new browsers all have improved so much. I use all three simultaneously. I use IE9, firefox and chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.