Question Chrome tab appears and disappears immediately...??

Lv 88 Mog

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
I have a question - sometimes when I've been to websites that don't look so safe (for example, downloading mods for Skyrim from Russian or Chinese sites), I'll click on something on the webpage, and a new tab will open and close immediately in Chrome. Is this a security concern, or is my Chrome pop-up blocker just shutting down a pop-up ad for another site, or what? I have Avast and also have used Malwarebytes safe browsing add-on in the past, and neither have responded, and no virus or malware scans ever show anything...in addition, I'm using a VPN. .. but it still makes me nervous...so does anyone know what this might be? Thanks!

mangaman

Honorable
As other have stated, the popup blocker is doing it's job, by not loading the popup tab.

A script blocker such as UMatrix can come in very handy in these situations. When ever you visit a website you have not been to before, the script blocker blocks all third party script from running. You can choose what scripts to run and what to block. Best thing about UMatrix is it's made by the same guy who did UBlock Origin.

Of course, it's best to avoid these sites all together and just visit well known modding sites instead.