Question Chrome This site can’t provide a secure connection

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I have just moved over to Virgin media broadband and now I am getting this message.

This site can’t provide a secure connection​

How can get around this and allow un-secured connections. Is it possible? Tried duck duck go but that did not work either. Went into chrome settings and changed it to no protection. Turned off windows firewall.

nordvpn.com sent an invalid response.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi. I have just moved over to Virgin media broadband and now I am getting this message.

This site can’t provide a secure connection​

How can get around this and allow un-secured connections. Is it possible? Tried duck duck go but that did not work either. Went into chrome settings and changed it to no protection. Turned off windows firewall.

nordvpn.com sent an invalid response.
Does this happen with one website or ALL websites ?

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Not all websites are affected but established companys like Nord VPN are.

I changed my internet provider from Talk Talk to Virgin media. I have used several browsers.

How do I change my DNS server. this is all done behind the sceens isn't it? I don't know these company DNS servers.

kanewolf

Titan
Not all websites are affected but established companys like Nord VPN are.

I changed my internet provider from Talk Talk to Virgin media. I have used several browsers.

How do I change my DNS server. this is all done behind the sceens isn't it? I don't know these company DNS servers.
First thing, since you are having web SSL issues, double check the date and time on your PC. That can cause strange behavior associated with web SSL.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 A provider? I know my IP address but I don't have a directory of DNS providers to try.

Is it the DNS server that rejects an incoming IP address?

Is there a DNS website with all the listings. I am not used to this kind of thing.

kanewolf

Titan
Well it is asigned to automatic. I don't understand what criteria is used in the automatic BUT...

I found this website > https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

And used
CleanBrowsing185.228.168.9185.228.169.9

It is working now. Thanks but can you say how the automatic works or does it use google as they are the giants on the plannet.
If you provide a make and model for your router, we can point you to changing it for your entire network.

kanewolf

Titan
I will dig the router out. Sagemcom , Hub 5x
I don't find a good manual with that description.... Could it be F@st 5xxx or something like that ?
But ... Try this and see if it works ...

Login to the router interface then select: See Internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > Internet Connectivity > DNS IPv4. From the drop down box there select Manually Specify DNS then enter your Primary and Secondary servers of choice.

Last edited:

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I have not been given a website URL for the router. I will ask them. I had this with talk talk. Here is the label of the back of the router.

<link removed by moderator because of sensitive info>

Sorry. Cancel that. The info is in the top right of the label.

Is this where I should be looking?
http://desmond-otoole.co.uk/Hub-5x.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

kanewolf

Titan
I have not been given a website URL for the router. I will ask them. I had this with talk talk. Here is the label of the back of the router.

<link removed by moderator because of sensitive info>

Sorry. Cancel that. The info is in the top right of the label.

Is this where I should be looking?
http://desmond-otoole.co.uk/Hub-5x.pdf
The references I found said it should be in the Advanced Settings Tab, not the DHCP tab.