Chrome Users Return to IE, Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Chrome sucks....
If I want a faster browser, I'll go with competitors that have been in the market long enough to polish out the major safety things, like Opera or Firefox.

Besides, already running Firefox on my laptop, and having IE7 idling by (you can't really disable IE, even if you uninstall all IE software, and type 'iexplore' in the run bar, there's still an iexplore.exe or something on the harddrive); I find 2 browsers more than enough on one PC.

If Windows 7 comes without internet browser, you can be sure it'll be FF for me.
It's a little more uncomfortable,but a lot safer, and faster.

doctorx

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
in firefox, i have a few addons that make it worth wild. I cannot live without those. Also, I would like my start page to be both my own page and the live start page. If they really want to make a dent, come out with a 64bit version that has real flash support.

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
IE 7 is still going to be favored because there are big websites, like Netflix that people like to use. Firefox, Chrome and Safari don't work with their players. Most people don't like to worry about being in the right browser. This is the 1 advantage IE has, and it is a big one. While IE does slow things down, it is a more simple experience for most people. Obviously this is sad, because IE sucks and just keeps getting worse.

KITH

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
[citation][nom]69camaroSS[/nom]IE 7 is still going to be favored because there are big websites, like Netflix that people like to use. Firefox, Chrome and Safari don't work with their players. Most people don't like to worry about being in the right browser. This is the 1 advantage IE has, and it is a big one. While IE does slow things down, it is a more simple experience for most people. Obviously this is sad, because IE sucks and just keeps getting worse.[/citation]

try IE tab under firefox addons. any site that takes issue with a browser other than IE you add to IE tab and that site will see your browser as IE. problem solved.

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
[citation][nom]KITH[/nom][/citation]
Umm. . .again simple is the key word to what I said. Firefox can do many things. Add ons are wonderful, but most people using browsers get frustrated with worrying about it. Shoot, I love Firefox but it still bugs the crap out of me when I'm surfing along and get rejected. Plus. . .IE tab isn't completely bug free, and it's not exactly a hastle free add-on. Most people would rather just open IE, and once they are there, they stay there until the next time they open a browser. Then they forget to open firefox and the saga continues until they tire of making the decision and fall back to just using IE. Then they have problems in IE and switch back. Over and over and over and over again. The madness never stops!!!!!! Come on admit it. IE is like the little crusty that you can't flick off your finger.

G

Chrome was pretty much a disappointment. I think IE and Firefox cover the needs of the market almost perfectly. IE is a great browser, it would be great if it were cross-platform (i.e. available on Macs and Linux) but that would be like helping Apple for free... which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Chrome is a great disappointment. I think Google should tread carefully, lest they waste their good reputation on these unpolished attempts. Google is the best search engine, gmail is fantastic, and google maps is also. They still need to prove themselves when it comes to installable software.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I used Chrome for about 2 days before I went to a site that required Adobe Flash.. I spent about 5m trying to get it to install, but it would not work.. After installing Flash 3 times, thinking I had to be doing something wrong, I read the fine print about it supporting Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Safari, and Opera. Havent bothered to use it since.

G

I do not understand how anybody can survive without IE. There are too many web sites that work with IE only ( if want to get 100% of all features). Firefox is the second best. Chrome is even worse than Firefox, probably similar to Safari, so personally I do not understand why would anybody keep it. I uninstalled my Chrome after two days of use.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Brome[/nom]I do not understand how anybody can survive without IE. There are too many web sites that work with IE only ( if want to get 100% of all features).[/citation]
I've been using primarily Linux for about a year and I haven't had a significant problem from the lack of IE. Adobe Shockwave doesn't work under WINE, but that's about it as far as I can remember.

I never got interested in trying out Chrome, but hopefully most of the complaints can be worked out during this Beta period and better support offered. Remember that when installing a beta, you are using software that you must assume is broken already. The point of beta testing is to work out which bugs need to be fixed sooner rather than later, and maybe tweak the features.

font9b

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Safari / Webkit is clearly the fastest and most sublime browsing experience you can have on a Mac (or a PC.) Opera died a long time ago, unfortunately, as they continued to innovate the browsing experience forward; but they did it at the expense of a clunky and bloated user experience.

The only place where Firefox 3.x is superior to Webkit is it's established and dedicated developer community for plug-ins and the more accessible plug-in architecture w/r/t Webkit.

Webkit's "Squirrelfish" (cringe at the name if you have to) ECMAScript rendering engine is the fastest and most robust of any browser and the fastidious adherence to standards (scoring 100 on the Acid 3 browser test (www.acid3.org) are making FF dig severely deep in the code tree to prune out abject code. In contrast, Webkit does not allow *any* code to be checked in that is _slower_ OR _slows down_ existing code through the nightly regression test policy.

I love the fact that I can download a nightly release of Webkit KNOWING it's going to be faster than yesterday's version, more stable, and more secure. I can choose to upgrade whenever I want to -- on Apple's release schedule or my own and absolutely know that every night the browser gets *better* (even if al that means is a slight refactoring check-in, etc.)

Now I used to use IE7 / 8 beta on Vista x64 because it _felt_ fast being pre-loaded during intital boot -- but then I began using Webkit (Safari) and suddenly my eyes were opened. When I switched primarily to Mac I never looked back.

I always had to use FF + IE on Windows to test code, etc. On my Mac, not so much. Just Webkit. Obliterated my virtual machines and my Bootcamp setup months ago and never have regretted it. (OK, I can't play Civ IV BTS... which is kinda a bummer, but I'm rocking Spore now anyways).

What Firefox needs to do to catch up is to get their runtime size down, start-up time faster, and *handle tabs as separate processes!* Oh yeah, and score a perfect 100 on Acid 3. That is competition, folks.

Cheerio,

-- f9a

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Chrome was fast for me for the first week or so. After that it started becoming slower and slower and now it's at the point where even opening a google page takes way too long. I have gone back to Firefox because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS