Question Chronic Wired Connection Issues

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
For the last 3 years I have had connection issues ONLY on my wired connection. All wireless devices do not experience ANY issues. These issues do not happen if I have a VPN turned on, but that isn't always practical for speed reasons. It isn't permanent. A simple reload or three immediately brings me to where I was going. However, it becomes frustrating when logging into games, staying connected to certain streaming services, or making any purchases online. Basically, not life altering but annoying. Here are the things I have tried to resolve the issue:

- Uninstalled the VPN via REVO (twice), deleted all files associated with it, and reinstalled a different VPN and had some issues so I repeated the uninstall.

- Updated all relevant devices, drivers, programs (i.e.; Ethernet, GPU, BIOS, router firmware, etc...).

- Restarted modem and router (several times).

- Confirmed through ISP that their modem is working properly.

- Changed ethernet cables.

- Ran network commands (netsh winsock reset, netsh int ip reset, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flushdns).

- Uninstalled Ethernet Network Adapter driver and restarted Windows.

- Tinkered with 'Speed/Duplex' settings on Windows and router.

- Disabled 'Dynamic QoS' within router.

My router is a Nighthawk X6 R8000 and it seems to be working fine otherwise, though it is a little over 4 years old. My motherboard is an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and I am using the Ethernet port on that motherboard.

The only thing I haven't done yet is a complete Network Reset. I was told it should be a "last resort" so I came here to see if I missed anything before taking that step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Not sure why you were advised of the "last resort", just do the reset. Not a big deal.

Of course, your onboard ethernet adapter could be the problem. I keep a PCIe ethernet adapter on-hand for just such occasions and troubleshooting purposes.

Something like this: https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tg-3468/p/N82E16833704060
***UPDATE***
I did the Network reset and still had issues with intermittent quick dropped connections. I then purchased a PCIe ethernet adapter and installed it. I made sure the driver was updated and tested to ensure it was working properly. 24 hours later the drops started again. Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Are you using the same cables between the PC and router?
They are different brands but the cable from the modem to the router is cat 6 and the cable from the router to PC is a cat 6. I have tried several different cables, all with the same result. The cables I am using now are the ones I have used the longest and were the ones that were working.

The only thing that is different is I switched VPN's around the time this started. But I had uninstalled with no difference. However, when I use a VPN, this connection issue does not happen, ever.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
To my knowledge, no. I have gone through the settings multiple times turning those off. Even those found within my router. But even with them on it was still happening. The only app I run when gaming is 'Afterburner'. When I'm not gaming, just my web browser and email app. I have tried switching those, as well, with no change.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
I did a re-install of Windows and made sure all my Cat 6 cables were of the same brand and type. Still having the same issues.

Something I did not mention, and am not sure it would even be relevant, this has happened both on Windows 10 and Windows 11 as I upgraded late last year.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you ever tested performance while in Safe Mode (with networking)? We need to determine the common denominator here. Multiple OSes having the same issue, would suggest a hardware issue.

Are you using fixed IPs or DHCP? What DNS are you using?

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
I am using DHCP.
My DNS server is set to 'Automatic DHCP' iPv4.
I have not tried safe mode yet. I will do so shortly and report back.

I do appreciate all your help and suggestions.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Tried entering Safe Mode with Networking 3 times. All three times I was unable to access the internet entirely. I double checked my network drivers. Made sure everything was enabled. In fact, the network connection I use wasn't even listed on the 'Network' page.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Just my XBox One. I rarely use it (for almost a year now) but I do remember when I did use it, it seemed to take an abnormally long time to do its update and download data for a game I own. Seemed to pause a lot but never said disconnected.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Firmware is up to date. The router is roughly 4 years old.

Unfortunately I do not have a second router. However, I can likely borrow a friends backup. May take a few days. I will report my findings.

Another thing that I noticed today: I shut my PC completely down last night to clean filters and leave off all night as I was going in for a procedure last night. Once I got home I turned the PC on and it worked fine for a few hours, then returned to dropping wired connection intermittently. Not sure if that gives any new information.

cmill78

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Sorry for the late replay. Work schedule changed.

Tried two different routers (one was the exact same model and the other was a Dynex) and both lasted roughly 24 hours before the same issue cropped up. At this point I have checked, and double checked, everything in software and hardware. The only thing left to do is call the cable company out here to physically go over their hardware and lines. Something they seemed reluctant to do last time I talked with them. We will see.

Unless any other suggestions that I missed are offered here, I may be at my ropes end.

Ralston18

Titan
On two of your computers, one wired and one wireless, run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full "ipconfig /all" results and post accordingly. Be sure to distinguish wired from wireless although the results should indicate which is which.

And in each computer take a look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer.

Look for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that may have been captured just before or at the 24 hour mark. Or at any time the wired connection was known to have dropped.

Look in Task Scheduler: any unknown or unrecognized apps that may be running in the background and being triggered. Look in the log.

And as mentioned look in the router's logs if available and enabled. Look for some common entry that likewise appeared at the 24 hour mark.