Cisco DPC3825 - can't reset password

Tocapet

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
I cannot get into my Cisco DPC3825 modem/router. I own it, it's not from the cable co. It was working and still works, but I can't get in
I changed the username and that's when the trouble started. Now it won't let me in. Here's what I have tried so far: I have done the 30sec/30sec/30sec reset with a paper clip and I have done the 10 sec reset multiple times. Still won't let me in. Left them blank, tried admin and default, connected with a different ethernet cable, disconnected the power and reconnected, still says "invalid username or password". What am I missing here?

Solution

You are a wonderful human being! I was having the same problem, and it was your post that fixed my issue. I bought my dpc3825 off amazon as a refurbished item. Now I question whether it was refurbished or not, but your username and password combo did the trick!

Thank you so much!

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Per the instruction manual:

On the Status DOCSIS WAN page, leave the User Name and Password field blank and click Log In. The gateway opens with an Administration Management page in the forefront. You can use the Administration Management page to set your User Name and Password

This is, of course, after you have factory reset it via the reset button held in for 10 seconds.

Tocapet

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
That is what I have been trying to do. I did the factory reset, 30 seconds reset button with a paperclip, disconnected power while holding down the paper clip 30 seconds more, reconnected the power another 30 seconds before finally releasing the reset. Did this multiple times. Also did the 10 second reset multiple times. Name & password fields blank and click login, get the same message: "invalid username or password". I disconnected everything from the modem except for the power and one Ethernet cable connected to the computer and tried it again, same message. I have been fighting this thing since yesterday. I got into it just fine with my old username and password. The trouble started when I changed the username & password.. Then I couldn't log in no matter what I tried. That's when I started doing all the resets trying to get back in. No user/password combinations work. Admin, admin, password, null, blank, etc. The thing is locked up. But it does still work. I'm using it right now to send this. But I want to get into it and forward a port or two. There has to be a solution somewhere.

First, should not have so obsessed over a username, you got in, it worked, and now you mucked it up. lol. Try contacting Cisco, see if they know. Since they devices are sold a lot of times to cable companies, there is a bunch of different username/password combo's for it.

"On the Status DOCSIS WAN page, leave the User Name and Password field blank and click Log In. The gateway opens with an Administration Management page in the forefront. You can use the Administration Management page to set your User Name and Password."

could the "Administration Management page in the forefront. " mean it either opens a popup or javascript window that isn't working on your browser due to settings or adblockers? Maybe try a different browser.

Tocapet

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
Finally got in. I went to the Charter internet forum and searched for modem reset. What happens is that after they provision your modem, the default username and password get changed. So I had to use chtruser and charter for the username and password. That worked and I was able to make the changes I wanted and also put in my own username and password. Thanks guys!

tootapple

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015

You are a wonderful human being! I was having the same problem, and it was your post that fixed my issue. I bought my dpc3825 off amazon as a refurbished item. Now I question whether it was refurbished or not, but your username and password combo did the trick!

Thank you so much!

Solution