City of Heroes Gets Visual Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Played this game for like a month... was over it. Character creation is excellent. Questing was terribad. Maybe it is better now... maybe not. I didn't stick around to find out.

G

So, good thing they put an "Ultra Mode" stamp on the enhanced pic so we could tell which one is supposed to have the better graphics.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Other than some better shading and more reflections, particularly in the water reflecting the monument building, there isnt much to write home about. Loved the game for the time I played it back in the day when it released, but end game was next to nonexistent at the time. I am surprised it is still around.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
this game is terribly optimized, i couldn't max it out on my hd 4850 and dual core... mind you, it's a very old game

i played it for 2 1/2 years, then i quit because of school. a year or so later, i joined it back because of a free weekend... what was i thinking playing this game for so long? I guess my interests were different when i was younger..

Funny, the water reflections have been in the game for a while. it was kind of a glitch I noticed(with certain settings it was there). It was not right(the reflection did not move with your perspective so it was a glitch), but was there for a while.

Last off as said above, The game engine that powers this is about the worst optimized EVER(it uses like under 50% of almost all video cards[Even during the most intense parts] and does not even max out a dual core cpu most of the time, use it all and make it run better.). When they brought out the dual core optimization they pretty much leveled single core users to half the performance(so they actually lost performance[for single core] not just giving dual core more).

G

I've been playing 51 months. Just when I feel it is getting a little stale they throw in a new twist. Don't know if I'll stay forever, but I haven't seen anything I like better. With Mission Architect your own creativity is the only real limitation.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Certainly looks better, but not by much , they should have focused on more then just water reflections and shading. How about maybe some new textures that take advantage of stronger cards?

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
That's not a bad approach if they feel they have a strong enough subscriber base. Why spend the money to invest in a new MMORPG if all they really need to do is upgrade their current one? Players aren't forced to start over and all of their so-called accomplishments are still applicable.

Still, I can't really tell too much of a difference in the images above.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
When I played it, about three years ago, I thought it was alright, definitely not the best, but alright. I have a hard time calling it a MMO though, it felt more like a online dungeon crawler than anything else. No real overall story to it that pulled you into the universe it was set in. Character creation was top notch with all the variety in which to make your character and who does not like to play a super hero any way.

But here is a 2 year old still image that shows the effects in the water have been there. they just tossed it in before it was ready.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8375/screenshot2008072716121.jpg
2008-07-27

And for those who liked AE(Mission Architect), it was good and all, but it turned about 90% of the games players into farmers. So next thing you knew the only teams running are 54 boss farms. Goodbye fun.

That's not a bad approach if they feel they have a strong enough subscriber base
That subscriber base seems to get smaller every year. At release it was great.

I am also saying this as a person who has played the game since release(well on and off)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
*shrug* I dunno, CoX is the only MMO I actually enjoy. Lots of customization options available with builds, everyone doesn't look related, proper slotting of IOs can make some insanely powerful characters, and MA opened up a lot of creativity options (boss farms don't work anymore).

Honestly however, the thing I like most about it is you don't need the "holy trinity" (tank, dps, healz) to do anything so it's very much just log on and play, without worrying about having to wait 40 minutes for the shaman or enchanter or cleric or whatever to log on. I also like the fact I can set the game down for 3 months and come back and my toons aren't out of date and so far behind my guildies I can't play with them anymore. This MMO is just very friendly to those of us who don't want to spend more than an hour or two every third day in front of the computer.

I realize this isn't the majority opinion of MMO players, but that's fine there's plenty of other MMOs out there to satisfy those players. CoX works well for me.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
City of Heroes/Villains is a very fun MMO but its been around awhile and this update is just what it needs to freshen things up! It is the best superhero MMO (srry Champions Online)and of coarse, the character creation is superb. Anyone who cant tell the difference in those pictures must be half blind and i suggest they watch the video links in the previous posts.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I have been playing for 56 months and I still enjoy it. My wife and I play and she and I have a lot of online friends we team up with. There is a lot more to the game than when it first came out. I look forward to the graphics improvement. It is an easy game to play. The community is very friendly. We have some of the people we play with on our facebook page. One year a couple of the guys went to Hero-Con and sent us tee shirts so we sent them girl scout cookies. It's not for everyone, but I do enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.