Clarification of what speed I am really getting.

Jonathan Yang

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Alright guys, I have a question that I have been trying to figure out but it seems like most forums I go to, it's saying the same thing over and over and it's not really answering my question. I'm pretty tech savy so don't be afraid to use tech terms.
Alright so my question is, what speed am I exactly getting/achieving when I go online to 'download' stuff and by 'stuff' I mean from downloading programs ro streaming videos, etc.
Here's the confusion. I don't know what's the difference. I have Comcast and my package is a 25mbps download speedpackage with about 4mbps of upload speed. This is also true when tested on speedtest.net. However when I go to right-click my SSID on the network window, it tells me my connection speed is 144 mbps. I'm on a wireless configuration set up atm, with a Netgear N300 router with a N900 adapter. (I know my adapter outperforms my router atm). These two different speed throws me off.

To my understanding theoretically, I should be getting download speeds of 3.2MB/S (128kb x 25) and upload speeds of about 512KB/s (128 x 4).

My usual download speed when I download anything off the internet is usually around 1.9MB/s - 2.5MB/s.
So what does these two different numbers mean? Why is my package saying only 25mbps but my connection speed is 144mbps.
If someone can clarify this issue that I am not understanding that will be great!

Also with the new AC routers being out I was thinking of probably investing in one. I'm not 100% sure at the moment if it would be a good investment. Just a quick question off the general question, since the AC routers are theoretically able to achieve 1.3Gb/s would that be faster than me physically plugging an Ethernet cord into the modem/router itself? Since I think gigabit only has a transfer rate of 1000mb/s.

the 144Mb/s is only the connection speed between your computer and the router and not between your computer and the internet.

the 3.125MB/s = 25Mb/s will be the fasted download speed to be expected minus some overhead. Your download also depends on the upload speed of the server you are downloading from.

Jonathan Yang

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013