Question Clean Asus ROG GTX 1070 Strix heatsink

tigcf

Commendable
Apr 7, 2019
Hi guys
I have a used Asus ROG GTX 1070 Strix with smoke smell. I've dissassembled it completelly, cleaned everything but the heatsink is a bit on the dark side, and has bits of cigarette ash in the middle of the fans of the heatsink that don't come off with air spray. I've already dry cleaned the heatsink as much as possible with compressed air and brushing, but I would like to know if there's a liquid or spray cleaning detergent that I could spray on/dip in the heatsink, in order to bring it back to it's original state, or close.
The heatsink is made of aluminium fin stack, nickel plated copper and exposed copper everywhere else.
Thank you
Tiago

tigcf

Commendable
Apr 7, 2019
You could try soaking it in alcohol. Though I've never seen smoke discolor aluminum before. Is it heat damage? Have you ran the card hot?

Take the fans off and scrub the heatsink with a toothbrush and Simple Green or Dawn dish soap.

Bought it used, only after I got it i noticed the cigarette smoke smell. Went to clean it and there are bits of ash in between the fins, that do not come off by just blowing air into them. Only by scrubbing, which is near impossible since the fins are very close together. I can only think of a chemical solution in which to embed the heat sink in.
It doesn't seem like heat damage, just poor maintenance and from smoking household.

Just wash the heatsink carefully with water and fairy dish washing liquid.
Probably washing in a dishwasher would be ok also.

Fairy-Dish-Washing-Liquid.jpg_350x350.jpg