[SOLVED] Clean Install of Windows 10

Due to a windows issue not being able to update, I have to do a clean install of Windows onto my boot drive. Im pretty confident about doing the install as Ive done this before but am totally out of my comfort zone with backing up my files on that drive to an external drive or cloud service and then restoring them as I have never done this before. Is there a guide or walkthrough for idiots anyone can recommend just so I can do it correctly? Also, when I do the back-up, wont the windows files also be saved? (sorry,as i said, dont know exactly how all this works.) Thanks

Solution
i always find when using a 3rd party backup software it's a better option to create a backup of the entire Users & ProgramData folders with all included files. especially for those inexperienced with the backup\restore process.

then after a fresh install you can pick and choose anything related to a specific program or any personal files that may need replacing and all will be there ready to be restored.
all will be stored in a folder structure exactly the same way to make replacing files to their proper folders much easier.
If doing a full wipe and reinstall, most of what is in /Users/ is linked to the previous user. Mostly unusable with the new user.
Permissions and all that.

Sure you should make a note of any...
you can choose during the install to keep your personal files and folders with Windows 10.

either using a new installation package via disc or USB flash drive
or going through Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC
should offer the same options.

you could also try just going back to a previous version of Windows through the same Recovery options and see if the later updates begin to work.

to be even extra careful with stored data you can use a software like Acronis True Image to backup all of your "Users" and "ProgramData" folders.
this will only backup user data and not the OS system files.
after reinstalling a fresh version of Windows you can then reload the user data(application settings, game save states, etc).

Reactions: kurdtnz
you can choose during the install to keep your personal files and folders with Windows 10.

either using a new installation package via disc or USB flash drive
or going through Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC
should offer the same options.

you could also try just going back to a previous version of Windows through the same Recovery options and see if the later updates begin to work.

to be even extra careful with stored data you can use a software like Acronis True Image to backup all of your "Users" and "ProgramData" folders along with anything else you may choose.
We tried all this yesterday, the microsoft engineer said the only way was to do a wipe and clean install to eradicate any trace of the 1909 version. I am just concerned that if I download all my stuff from my C drive, some of the windows files will carry over?

I am just concerned that if I download all my stuff from my C drive, some of the windows files will carry over?
if you're using a 3rd party software to backup files;
you don't want to create a backup of the entire drive. only the folders i mentioned.

We tried all this yesterday, the microsoft engineer said the only way was to do a wipe and clean install to eradicate any trace of the 1909 version.
and the "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10" option on the Recovery page will not leave a trace of the current version you are using. it will revert your entire OS to the previous version that you chose.

if this option isn't available, than the Recovery function is corrupted.

than you would have to use the alternative that i stated and use a fresh Windows 10 install package to get to the same "Keep My Files & Settings" option.
this removes\reinstalls all OS system files and only keeps your User created data.

Reactions: kurdtnz

USAFRet

Titan
For an actual full wipe and reinstall:

And if you choose any level of "Keep my..."
Please have a full backup of your personal data anyway.

When you DO back this data up, don't copy the entire "Library" folders. Documents/Pictures/etc.
Just the files within.

When you DO back this data up, don't copy the entire "Library" folders. Documents/Pictures/etc.
Just the files within.
i always find when using a 3rd party backup software it's a better option to create a backup of the entire Users & ProgramData folders with all included files. especially for those inexperienced with the backup\restore process.

then after a fresh install you can pick and choose anything related to a specific program or any personal files that may need replacing and all will be there ready to be restored.
all will be stored in a folder structure exactly the same way to make replacing files to their proper folders much easier.

USAFRet

Titan

If doing a full wipe and reinstall, most of what is in /Users/ is linked to the previous user. Mostly unusable with the new user.
Permissions and all that.

Sure you should make a note of any settings/username/passwords/etc.

But applications will need to be reinstalled anyway.

Solution