Clean install windows 10 on nvme but how to uninstall os from current boot drive

macdiva

Honorable
Feb 21, 2018
I’m purchasing a 256 GB 970 evo for my boot drive and basic system files. I already have windows 10 on my current hdd and want to keep the other files and data I have on that drive only. I am going to do a clean install of windows and the required drivers onto the nvme drive. How do I remove windows 10 from the old drive without touching my other files, and WITHOUT doing a complete reformat of the old drive??
(I am going to unplug the other drive when I install the new os and drivers and will be using a bootable usb using the latest version of windows directly from MS website)

Solution
Once you have windows installed on the new drive (do not have old drive installed when you do this).
When you boot up into windows on the new drive (boot through bios new drive)
You will be able to just delete the entire FOLDER named Windows which is now on D: or whatever it is.
You shouldn't have any problem and all files can be copied over.

The other thing is, you could just migrate your old drive to your new drive as long as the new drive has enough space on it.
Once you have windows installed on the new drive (do not have old drive installed when you do this).
When you boot up into windows on the new drive (boot through bios new drive)
You will be able to just delete the entire FOLDER named Windows which is now on D: or whatever it is.
You shouldn't have any problem and all files can be copied over.

The other thing is, you could just migrate your old drive to your new drive as long as the new drive has enough space on it.

Solution

macdiva

Honorable
Feb 21, 2018
Isn’t Windows like a spider putting parts of itself in other places as well?? In other words, if I just delete the Windows folder won’t it leave some small pieces here and there?? Also, I really don’t have the room to migrate the entire drive to the nvme and really do just want the os and drivers along with 1 game only and it’s files only on the nvme.