Cleaner for cpu thermal compound - any good

lem

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message news:94CA7A7C0A9C891F3A2@130.133.1.4...
> The current thread on cpu thermal compounds makes me ask whether
> compound cleaners are worth using?
>
> If people are taking great care about how they apply the thermal
> compound then is it worth using this sort of cleaner first?
> http://www.akasa.co.uk/spec/thermal/spec_ak_tc.htm
> http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akticpuhecl.html

GooGone (buy it at your local supermarket), then 91% isopropyl
alcohol works fine.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:02:26 +0100, Lem <lem@mail.com> wrote:

>The current thread on cpu thermal compounds makes me ask whether
>compound cleaners are worth using?
>
>If people are taking great care about how they apply the thermal
>compound then is it worth using this sort of cleaner first?
>

>http://www.akasa.co.uk/spec/thermal/spec_ak_tc.htm
>
>http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akticpuhecl.html

As with most "cleaners", there's nothing particularly unique about that
stuff, except the label, and price.

You don't need to clean a "clean" CPU, but if you have one with stubborn
compound then any petroleum-based solvent will clean it well enough at a
fraction of the price. Any old compound should indeed be removed but a
special cleaner "specified" for that use is not at all necessary. I
fully expect someone quite anal to come along and go on and on about
"reside", which is a relative term... if the CPU core looks clean to the
eye it's clean enough, some trace particles left behind aren't going to
make a difference.

Stacey

Lem wrote:

> The current thread on cpu thermal compounds makes me ask whether
> compound cleaners are worth using?
>
> If people are taking great care about how they apply the thermal
> compound then is it worth using this sort of cleaner first?

I like automotive brake cleaner on a rag. Leaves no residue and cleans good
as well. Great for all sorts of cleaning applications.
--

Stacey

"Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message
> The current thread on cpu thermal compounds makes me ask whether
> compound cleaners are worth using?
>
> If people are taking great care about how they apply the thermal
> compound then is it worth using this sort of cleaner first?
>

> http://www.akasa.co.uk/spec/thermal/spec_ak_tc.htm
>
> http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akticpuhecl.html

Liquid lighter fluid (Ronson or Zippo) and isopropyl alcohol have worked
just fine for me.

Lighter fluid gets all the thermal compound off the CPU die. The alcohol
cleans any residue left by the lighter fluid.

No need for an expensive cleaning compound.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Lem" <lem@mail.com> wrote in message
> The current thread on cpu thermal compounds makes me ask whether
> compound cleaners are worth using?
>
> If people are taking great care about how they apply the thermal
> compound then is it worth using this sort of cleaner first?
>

> http://www.akasa.co.uk/spec/thermal/spec_ak_tc.htm
>
> http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akticpuhecl.html

I have bought some to try, about £5. At least I have somebody to sue if it
all goes pear-shaped. :)
--
Doug Ramage