Cleaning thermal paste with water

Hman191

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hi,
I am in the process of building 3 PCs, my mum's my dad's and also upgrading mine, and to do this, I need to remove the thermal paste, I do not own any rubbing alcohol and after searching in pharmacies, grocery shops and hardware stores, B&Q if you wanted to know, I could not find any either. I was wondering if I will be able to clean the thermal paste off the CPU and the heatsink without any major risks, I will be removing them both before doing so, however I wanted to know 1. Whether it is safe to do so at all. 2. If I should take any other precautions if I do decide to do this. I am switching from a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Advanced, to a corsair H100i
Any reply is appreciated, thank you :)

Solution
You should NOT do it. Unless you like running into the risk of killing your motherboard and cpu.

At best, you could just rub it off with tissue paper, then take a tiny drop of water to an other tissue paper and make sure to only touch the heatspreader with it.

Anyway, since you're living in the UK, I can assure you that there is 99% alcohol in supermarkets. Or in a computer store. Just ask for 'very high percentage non drinking alcohol'. They should also have that in any DIY store nearby.

Hman191

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

The thing is, where I live, noone has heard of 'Isopropyl acohol' except me, so I need to describe it to them as 'rubbing alcohol' :D
Secondly, I've been to 2 pharmacies, a huge hardware store and and 2 supermarkets, none of them had it. I want to use water, but I just want some advice on whether I should do it or not and why. Sorry if I was unclear earlier.

Hman191

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

If water won't work, the paste was applied about a year ago, I've heard some people say it's alright to just rub it off without anything. Is this true. And any shipping to the UK from america is pretty expensive :/

DubbleClick

Admirable
You should NOT do it. Unless you like running into the risk of killing your motherboard and cpu.

At best, you could just rub it off with tissue paper, then take a tiny drop of water to an other tissue paper and make sure to only touch the heatspreader with it.

Anyway, since you're living in the UK, I can assure you that there is 99% alcohol in supermarkets. Or in a computer store. Just ask for 'very high percentage non drinking alcohol'. They should also have that in any DIY store nearby.

Solution

Hman191

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

That's why I was going to remove the CPU, to remove this risk. Thank you :)

Being helpless and clueless is not a good thing.

I gave you an example link since you did not bother to tell us where you live.

Here is the Newegg UK link: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

or try Amazon

ALso, initially I thought you lived in outer moldovia or on the Faroe Isalnds, since no-one has heard of Rubbing alcohol or Isopropyl alcohol. Having lived in the UK, I know it's easily obtainable from Boots.

Or order

Hman191

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Hi, I'm sorry for not saying this earlier, I thought B&Q would've been enough, I'm relatively new to computer forums and have rarely needed to post until recently. I'll keep this in mind next time. Another thing, I'm 16, so I don't know everything about copmuters. I'm not helpless and clueless, I'm just seeking advice, I was asking a question. Either way, thank you for your input and I'll keep it in mind for the next time I need to post anything :)

P4RK3R_543

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
I had to do the same, and at first I dipped my paper towel in water and rubbed some paste of. I know it isn't recommend and I wouldn't, but I was cafeful and it worked just fine. Afterwards I uses some alcohol wipes from a first aid kit - they did the job perfect