Apr 27, 2020
New build with the following components:

Power Supply: Antec VP500 80+
Processor: Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: MSI X470
Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666Mhz
GPU: GTX 1660 Super
Primary Drive: HP EX920 1TB M.2 SSD

It used to show the MSI splash screen when booting where you press DEL to go into BIOS settings. I wanted to go into BIOS to enable integrated graphics to use an HDMI cable from mobo to second monitor (main monitor is running from GPU with HDIMI - don't have display port cables at the moment). Before I could do this (or knew how to do it) I plugged in the second monitor into the mobo with HDMI and of course nothing happened as I think integrated graphics was disabled.

So when rebooted to go into BIOS the splash screen didn't show anymore and it went directly into Windows. When I press delete here the screen just stays black. When I boot from Windows (advanced startup > advanced > troubleshoot > restart into UEFI settings) I also just get a black screen.

Was it plugging the HDMI into onboard graphics that messed with settings?

And, could this be solved by turning power off, unplugging cable, pressing 'Clear CMOS' button on mobo for 5-10 sec?

When I boot up again then after the clear, would I be able to go into BIOS, change the graphics under settings and then go back to Windows and everything will be the same?

Thank you very much for the help.

Solution
Sorry to say, but your motherboard´s ports won´t ever work without a CPU, which provides an integrated graphics chip. Yours is a "simple" CPU, you would need an APU like a Ryzen 5 3400G.

Is the HDMI cable with the second monitor still connected?

A BIOS reset could help
Sorry to say, but your motherboard´s ports won´t ever work without a CPU, which provides an integrated graphics chip. Yours is a "simple" CPU, you would need an APU like a Ryzen 5 3400G.

Is the HDMI cable with the second monitor still connected?

A BIOS reset could help

Solution