[SOLVED] Clear CMOS not working

Oct 6, 2021
So i had a problem where my PC is skipping the BIOS. This happened after I stupidly changed the timeout settings on msconfig from 30 seconds to 10 seconds. When it required me to restart my pc it skips the splash screen and went straight to windows after a couple seconds of just black screen as if my monitor is off. I then changed back the timeout settings from 10 back to 30 and restarted my PC however still the same thing happens.
I unplugged my pc and removed the CMOS battery from my motherboard and after 10 minutes i decided to put it back in and plug back my pc and turn it on. I also changed the clr_cmos jumper from 2-3 to 1-2 then put it back also after 10 minutes. When i turned it on its just stuck at a black screen so i pressed the power button on my case and restarted my pc. Upon restart same thing happens it skips the bios and just went straight to windows after a couple of seconds of black screen.

As for the Specs:

Motherboard: Acer Aspire TC 605 (Bios Version - P11-B4)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4440
GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1650 GD6
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
SSD: Kingston A400 (120 GB)
HDD1: 1 TB WD Blue
HDD2: 2 TB Seagate Barracuda
Monitor: Samsung CF390

Last edited:
Solution
AFAIK, the msconfig delay is for how long Windows' bootloader will wait for you to select safe mode and other boot options before proceeding to Windows, BIOS is already done at that point.

To get into BIOS when the BIOS is set to fast-boot which doesn't wait for you before passing control to the bootloader, you have to spam whatever key your BIOS checks to enter setup, usually the DEL key, during the BIOS splash screen. You have a 2-3 second window between the BIOS detecting the keyboard and finishing whatever it needs to finish doing between then and going to BIOS or OS.

Since your PC is able to boot into Windows, you can also do the shift-restart "trick" and get into BIOS from there.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

As for your platform, have you tried getting into UEFI BIOS using the Hold left Shift key and then restart trick(listed as the last drop down option in that link)? On a side note, can you use CPU-Z to show you what your BIOS version is at the time of writing(listed under Mainboard tab)?

I stupidly changed the timeout settings on msconfig from 30 seconds to 10 seconds.
That's an OS issue, not essentially the BIOS.

InvalidError

Titan
AFAIK, the msconfig delay is for how long Windows' bootloader will wait for you to select safe mode and other boot options before proceeding to Windows, BIOS is already done at that point.

To get into BIOS when the BIOS is set to fast-boot which doesn't wait for you before passing control to the bootloader, you have to spam whatever key your BIOS checks to enter setup, usually the DEL key, during the BIOS splash screen. You have a 2-3 second window between the BIOS detecting the keyboard and finishing whatever it needs to finish doing between then and going to BIOS or OS.

Since your PC is able to boot into Windows, you can also do the shift-restart "trick" and get into BIOS from there.

Solution