Question Clearing old hard drive

Oct 8, 2020
Hey, I just installed a new ssd and cloned windows to it following this guide, everything is fine except the part about uh, just doing "Delete Volume" on all the old hard drive partitions. I have the option to do it, it isn't greyed out, but when I click it I get a warning that it's currently in use. This popped up for all old hdd(disk 1) partitions I tried to delete. This is what it looks like in disk management:
View: https://imgur.com/WmJuXzT

I looked into it and I noticed both disk 0, the new ssd, and disk 1, the old hdd, are active, also the D is on the old hard drive. Oh I also had just renamed Windows on the old hard drive to Windows.old, and used disk cleanup to delete it as a different post had recommended. Was going to leave it at that but after thinking about it for a few too many hours decided to do the delete the partitions thing, and now I think the whole D being on the other drive is actually a problem. But I'm really not sure.

Another note, not sure if it matters, I ran a Windows 10 reset on my new ssd after moving everything over, keeping the files. Everything is running fine, but I don't want to delete anything else on the old hard drive without knowing what's going on.

No amount of rewording this issue has helped google find me an already posted solution, and this site has indirectly helped me a lot, so I figured I'd ask here. Thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
TBH, just based on your first sentence. The simplest easiest thing to do....

Unhook your HDDand make SURE the system will boot on the SSD you cloned to.
Afterwards, unhook the SSD and use your install media "advanced" options to go in and delete all the volume/partitions on that HDD and then cancel the install process.
When you boot into Windows next time use the disk manager to create the new volume.

Oct 8, 2020
Hey yeah, it boots without the hdd plugged in. So uh, the reason I cloned then reset was because I didn't have a way to make install media for just a fresh install on it, and the disc I had is lost in the hoard, so I'm trying to track down a usb now. Because that does sound like a simple easy thing to do and I really should have one of those anyway... Thanks a bunch and I guess I'll just post that it worked when it works, tyty