Question Clevo p650rg won't boot

May 9, 2022
I have this laptop with CPU i7-6700hq and Nvidia Graphics Gtx 970m. It stopped working after I used it with hdmi to monitor screen so I thought it is gpu failure. Maybe it is, so I took it and put it in the oven. 196 C or 385F for 10 min. Put new paste and put it all together. Then I turned on the motherboard and fans spin OK and gpu fans spin OK.
The problem is here that after 4 blinks the laptop doesn't show something on display. It doesn't even turn on.
Keyboard work fans are OK and reseting the system can be done by pressing Fn+D.
Normally before it dies when reseting the system and pop up message appears on display making you press ENTER 3 times then restarts.
Now when reset done pressing ENTER has no effect.
It's like gpu or integrated graphics don't work. Nothing on screens and no commands obeyed. What's the problem here?
Fans spin OK
Keyboard leds OK
reseting OK
Everything is fine except nothing on display and no bios.
Did a bios flash and still don't work.
Is it ram the problem?
If gpu is faulty would gpu's fans still spin?
Having integrated graphics with faulty descrete graphics would still give display from what I know.
Plugging the laptop to a monitor gives no signal too.
Any ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

so I took it and put it in the oven. 196 C or 385F for 10 min.
Now why did you do that prior to identifying if the laptop needed a repair job on the motherboard's power delivery? I'm actually curious as to how you went ahead with reflowing the laptop's innards.

Did a bios flash and still don't work.
How did you flash the BIOS on a laptop that you can't get display out of? Are you able to get into BIOS?

Having integrated graphics with faulty descrete graphics would still give display from what I know.
That's where you should try and find a repair shop near you, if you're not handy with a multimeter or soldering for that matter, to see if there's a part of the laptop's motherboard that's compromised.

Reactions: Markosgcx
May 9, 2022
The reason I put it in the oven was when I saw a white frame on display when it was working. But it was 10 min and Im sure no components got destroyed or moved. But for me I agree was a dumb idea.
I flashed the bios with CH341A programmer.
I will take it to a shop but I want to learn too.
Now i turned on the laptop it hdd led blinked 4 times and stopped there.
No display what so ever.
If it's not the ram what could it be?
I will try a different ram tomorrow. Found a cheap one from a friend