CLI Application error message,

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Ok I have been getting this error when I open CCC for awhile now. Started with the old crappy X300SE that I had, I open CCC and I get
" CLI Application (Command Line Interface) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Then it "CCC" will shut down. I have recently bought a X1600XT PCI express SAPHIRE, it does the same thing as my old one did. I have contacted many of Techs at ATI and I have gotten everything from your system is overclocked @ 4.1 the highest intel has for processors is 3.8 right now, to try installing without your antivirus running in the backround, to make sure that you have .net 2.0 installed, to make sure that the only processes running are microsoft ones in the backround. I took my system back down to normal shutdown my antivirus program and went thru the steps of uninstalling then reinstalling, didn't work. Well I recently bought a 250GB SATA WESTERN DIGITAL 16MB Cache hard drive and a new Cooler master 430Watt power supply. I then went ahead and started completely over new install of Windows XP Home on the new drive ok installed .net 2.0 first then CCC 6.9 next. I was getting slow boots and error messages when I would shutdown, I couldn't read the message fast enough to see what it was. I then went ahead and installed my virus software and same thing was still happening slow boots screen going black then coming back on when windows would come to the desktop and the Error message when I shut it down. Then I went ahead and proceeded with the windows updates and installed my games boom
"CLI Application (Command Line Interface) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
I figure it has something to do with the .net update but I was still getting error messages when I would shutdown before ever doing the updates so me and a tech were talking about the p[ossibilities and we had come to the conclusion that it might be something to do with the mother board or the sound card that it doesn't like. The ATI tech also told me that since they haven't gotten 10 reports of this problem they are not going to worry about it. I would like Tom to recreate this problem with my setup and post it because I feel that then they would take this more seriously. I even told that to the tech and he said that they would probaly try to fix it then if Tom did do a review about it. Which I think is a croc considering I bought there darn product and they say that they won't worry about it till they have atleast ten reports of it that's like saying sorry bout your luck to my face. My setup is as follows,
Cooler master 430watt,
Asus P5LD2 Deluxe,
X1600XT Saphire,
Celeron D 3.0 ghz,
Creative Audiogly SE,
2.5 GBs of Kingston 667,
and a CDrw/DVD reader,
and a SATA Western Digital 250Gb 16Mb cache hard drive,
and a Maxtor 100Gb IDE Hard drive,
XP Home.

Thank you ahead of time anyone who knows the solution, or Tom for helping me by doing a recreation of the problem.

First download the latest version of .net 2.0 (1.1 is buggy, 3.0 beta is best but it's not for use trying to fix stability issues IMO), the latest version of Driver Heaven's DriverCleanerPro and the latest full Catalyst 6.9 driver package and put them somewhere you can find them for the next steps.

Now;

- Unplug from the internet

- Uninstall .net

- Use the uninstall ATi driver option from add/remove programs in control panel

- Then use DriverCleanerPRO to remove all display drivers current and old.

- Then reboot and don't let M$ install the default display drivers (your monitor should default to like 800x600 resolution). Just X out the windows when they pop-up.

- Install .net and follow reboot instructions if offered, but ensure M$ doesn't reload video drivers again.

- Then Install the Catalyst package and follow the prompts including reboot.

That should fix it, and if not, then try using just the display drivers and AtiTrayTools, which loses you some AVIVO features, but gives you most of the other options/control plus some additional benefits should you ever want to tweak.

As for Tom writing something, not gonna happen, this is a user issue, not a pervassive issue.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I swear to you I have done all that and more my friend. I have 2.0 installed and I had took all those steps but on a clean new hard drive fresh install of windows and still issues trust me there is something I am missing here and its not how I have installed CCC this I know for a fact. I realy need the AVIVO options other wise when I hook up to my TV it just Flashes and I can't do anything like if I have the avivo it detects the tv for me and adjust itself properly. My hole screen rolls if I do not have the avivo stuff and I can't even begin to fix it to where it will adjust itself without AVIVO because it rolls so bad I can't see anything.

Thanks though any other suggestions?
Please help me on this one people if I could just get ten people that have this same issue or Tom to recreate it then they will have to fix this issue then I can actually expierence CCC likie every one else without error messages,

Sorry, can't help you then, beyond my experience.

I have uninstalled and installed the Cats & CCC a ton of times (even alternating dev CP versions) and only once encountered a problem due to a corrupt .net which was fixed with an uninstall/install.

I would suggest sending a letter to ATi (which of course is hit and miss) and then checking the Rage3D forums where there are threads dedicated to Catalyst issues and there are alot of BetaTesters, and even CatalystMAker TerryMakedon who drops by now and then.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I had the exact same problem. Turned out to be my antivirus (cracked NOD32).

But even with the error you can still use CCC, just leave the error open and put it somewhere on you screen so you can see CCC and just use CCC then apply and then click ok to exit CCC and then click ok on the error.

Best way to find out is to just format your pc, and first install your ati drivers, and check the CCC after every program you install.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
You are absolutely right my friend I have done the hole fresh install I actually wrote that in the first post I did but anyway. I have noticed that I can just move it and set my settings yes. What did they tell you though did you contact them about this issue? I think that there are more people out there having this issue then they will admit considering you have a totaly different anti virus then I do and you had the same problem as me. I have MCAFEE internet security suite full blown version. If I could get other people to come forward and say that they are having the same issue then they would have to fix it. I think that its rediculous that they would just tell me o well basicly. I have a sweet setup and it kills me that I'm getting this error message ya know,

Thanks,

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yes it is rediculous that ATI is being so easy about it. But i didnt contacted them.

Well i will help you, i go to ati's site now.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Thank you very much and the movement shall continue. I will keep working to get this issue taken care of so help me god. I pm'd a moderator here to look at this post also so maybe he will have some insight to this also or some push to get some higher up people to look into it. Please anyone else respond to this if you have been having the same problem or know about it.

Thanks,

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Thats right they want you to submit a ticket. You probally got it right. I wish the admin I pm'd would respond I figured he would have by now, and thank you for you help. I appreciate it any one else please respond I think that ATI needs a wake up call they need to fix there issues with CCC, they are obligated to we pay for there cards they should support them.

Thanks,

Thats right they want you to submit a ticket. You probally got it right. I wish the admin I pm'd would respond I figured he would have by now, and thank you for you help. I appreciate it any one else please respond I think that ATI needs a wake up call they need to fix there issues with CCC, they are obligated to we pay for there cards they should support them.

I think you need to understand YOU are the minority.

Most people like myself run AntiVirus with .Net and CCC without any issue.

I have AVG, McAfee, Norton and Panda all working simultaneously, and have the lastest version of .net 3.0 and CCC running, no problems.

It's annoying, but it is something you need to troubleshoot with them, because your is an anomaly, even if it occurs to 1,000 people that's less than 1% of 1% of their market. Just like every company out there, unless it's a widespread issue it won't get much attention other than the lips service and luke war reception of customer service.

It's a pain, but you need to focus on the problem at hand not focus on trying to change the world.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well i mailed them and got a response:

Greetings!

If you are experiencing issues with the Catalyst Control Center starting, or if you are receiving an error similar to "Cli.exe - Application error - The application failed to initialize properly", verify that you have installed the Microsoft .NET component and reinstall the Catalyst Control Center with out any Anti-virus or background applications running. A link to the Microsoft .NET component can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

For usage and feature information, the Catalyst Control Center user's guide is also available online at the following location:

http://www2.ati.com/manuals/ccc_user_guide.pdf

If you are experiencing issues with the Catalyst Control Center, such as, missing features, start up problems, errors or other issues, you may need to perform a thorough reinstall of the Catalyst software suite. To do this please follow these instructions:

Download the latest Catalyst package from our website and save it to your desktop: (be sure to write down the file name, you will need it later)

Go to add/remove programs in the control panel and uninstall all ATI software that is listed

Reboot the computer

Cancel any "Found New Hardware Wizard" windows that open

Install the Catalyst suite by double clicking on the file that you have downloaded

Reboot the computer

If these suggestions don't help to resolve your issues, please respond to the ticket and one of our qualified support representatives will assist you. To respond to this ticket you must visit http://support.ati.com and login to My Support.

Thank you for choosing ATI!

Customer Care
ATI Technologies Inc.
ati.com

So they do want to help me

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Well ,

I reverted back to the 6.4 version that came with this card, perfect not a freaking thing wrong now. I also uninstalled 2.0 and went back to 1.1 it took a second for the install to get done, but after reboot no problems ever since. Just prooving it's not my system that is the problem it's them trying to fix crap and messing more up. I must say that there customer service because of the fact that they don't want to admit when something is wrong gets a "0" from me to all those that appose ***** you. Hey FeareX I say get the 6.4 yourself and uninstall 2.0 and go back to 1.1 and it will probaly fix your issues also, as for them I will be calling them I will not give up on"Changing the world" LMAO. I FREAKING PAID FOR IT. Thats what you call Customer care little thing I've know about since I was freaking a little boy.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well ,

I reverted back to the 6.4 version that came with this card, perfect not a freaking thing wrong now. I also uninstalled 2.0 and went back to 1.1 it took a second for the install to get done, but after reboot no problems ever since. Just prooving it's not my system that is the problem it's them trying to fix crap and messing more up. I must say that there customer service because of the fact that they don't want to admit when something is wrong gets a "0" from me to all those that appose ***** you. Hey FeareX I say get the 6.4 yourself and uninstall 2.0 and go back to 1.1 and it will probaly fix your issues also, as for them I will be calling them I will not give up on"Changing the world" LMAO. I FREAKING PAID FOR IT. Thats what you call Customer care little thing I've know about since I was freaking a little boy.

I use version 6.9 now. But with AVG antivirus i dont have problems anymore. So its fine with me :)

olithejunglist

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
i have been having the same problems with 3 different pcs. one of my own and two at work. i run nod32 on all of the affected pcs and disabling the resident does nothing so i have ruled this out. i was thinking of disabling some windows updates one by one until i find possibly find the one causing it. firstly i'd like to know if you keep your pc up to date with windows and secondly if you have tried this out.

I wish ati still gave the option of the old style control panel with they're drivers. i'm sure they could offer full functionality and less problems to a lot of users. they're probably in with m$ tho and unless you're validated with m$ they just cause you problems. i've got more to say about paying m$ for they're glitchy OS and the fact that paying customers should bill m$ for time wasted trying to fix problems that should not even exist in an off the shelf product. maybe another time ey.

crapback

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
i had the same problems myself, the only solution i was able to dig up was that CCC needs .NET 1.1 installed to run correctly....

when i check my installed programs it lists 1.1, a 1.1 hotfix, and 2.0 as separate...

when i only had .NET 2.0 installed, CCC would give me 3 of those stupid cli.exe errors... after installing .NET 1.1, i haven't had a problem since

oh ya, i'm running the cat 6.9's just so ya know

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry I was at work all day,

I did try the hole stopping processes also and no results from that. I actually had a tech tell me to install 1.1 also but this is the first time I actually have , but yet they say to use "2.0". I just don't know about them tech's over there some are smart and some aren't :^). I should try the 6.9 with the 1.1 myself it will probaly work to like the 6.4 I have on here now. I know one thing it seems to me like more and more people are starting to say hey I have had that same problem, lol.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I would also like to add to what I said. There is a problem, which obviously they need to address.

I will say again because I paid for it and they are supposed to offer support and telling me to use something old is not a good answer to my problems.

They have told me to use 1.1. I just would love it if they treated me like they actually value me as a customer and actually "said yes we are aware of this issue and are working towards fixing it".

Instead of revert back to the old CCC 5.1. They actually had the nerve to tell me that at one point and I laughed at the guy.

olithejunglist

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
after reading the latest posts on this topic i conclude that it seems like the problem is with m$ releasing the .net framework as an incomplete product when it comes to version 2.0. maybe theres a hint in the title dotnetfix. its not standalone but an addon to xp that seemingly requires the previous version installed to function properly. this may be an oversight on both m$ and atis behalf. i don't want to let them off the hook cos they are meant to be the pros after all but stuff with pcs ain't easy at the best of times so maybe we can give ati a second chance. F*** m$ tho cos they're the real c***ts.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Ok heres the update on this whole issue for me. I installed 3.0 on top of 1.1 and did the update for the 3.0, ""after uninstalling CCC 6.4"""" before reinstalling CCC 6.9"". I haven't had a single error. Now if they would just realize what olithejunglist said install the 1.1 first then the other either 3.0 or 2.0 but I don't think you can put in both 2.0 and 3.0 from what I read on the microsoft site where they have 3.0.

prodaytrader

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I had the same error and read through everyones posts. I was useing the 6.9 drivers and .net 2.0. I decided to uninstall .net 2.0 and install 1.1 instead. As of right now I am error free. I did nothing to the drivers but simply uninstall and then reinstalled the .net. I will now try upgrading to the 3.0 .net and see if I am still error free. I'm not even sure why I should bother since bigger is obviously not better when it comes to .net and these vid card drivers.

Thanks for the tips guys, ATI would never have solved my problem. I have two open tickets going on 3 weeks at this point. They are of zero assitance when it comes to supporting their product. It blows my mind really.

edit: I just updated to 3.0 from 1.1 and still the control panel works great. There must be an issue in 2.0 of either missing or bad data. I have not tested the proceedure of going from 1.1 to 2.0 as I have wasted way too much time on this already. Thanks again.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Your very welcome. I will say something to them about the fact that they told me no one else was having this problem and obviously there are other people having this issue. I think I made a pretty good impact here with this whole thing. I feel all warm and fuzzy LMAO. :lol:

Da_junka

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I have been trying to fix the same problem for weeks and thanks to this forum Ive now fixed it, also have informed others with this problem, they are now very happy rabbits. :D

Joltee

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Thank you for the idea, I had the same problem which fortunately disappeared after uninstalling .NET 2.0 and installing the version 1.1. :)