[SOLVED] Clicking a file opens default program but not the actual file ?

David12846

Honorable
Apr 16, 2016
When I click on a file in Windows Explorer (Windows 10 Pro) that has an npp extension, it opens the associated program (Art Explosion) but it does not open the actual file. I have to select "Open" within the program and then select the file in order to open the file. On my Windows 7 PC, clicking the file in Windows Explorer opens the program AND opens the file.

Is there a setting in Windows 10 I need to adjust? I don't seem to find a related setting within the program. The program's settings on my Windows 10 are the same as on my Windows 7 PC.

Thanks - David

It may be windows related or related to that specific program.

Ok try this - make a shortcut to the program on your desktop. Then use windows explorer to navigate to the file you want to open. Then drag the file from windows explorer over the desktop shortcut (that you just made). Does the program open the file then ?

David12846

Honorable
Apr 16, 2016
Grobe - Since I already had a shortcut to the program on my desktop, I tried what you suggested. It worked. The file opened within the program.

Since I was able to open the program by dragging the file over the shortcut, what might that indicate? The file extension IS associated with the program.

Ok, then it is probably some bad formatting in the registry.

Not telling you to mess with registry (I'm not sitting on a W10 computer so I cannot guide you through anyway), but from past experience in windows registry, it often boils down to apostrophes (or lack of) errors.

So the string in the registry that define the file/program to open might look something like:
C:\program files\...\someapp.exe %1
where the percent symbol will be the argument to the program, that is the path of the file you try to open.

In my past, when this issue happens, it usually got worked out by change the registry to
"C:\program files\...\someapp.exe" "%1"
I.e. add double apostrophes around both the full path of exe file and the argument (percent one).

The reason for the double apostrophes is to make a workaround for file paths containing spaces in its name.

David12846

Honorable
Apr 16, 2016
Thanks. I'll backup my registry and take a look. I usually don't play with registry settings but occasionally I have. Maybe first I'll un-assign the extension to the program, then re-assign it and see if that fixes it.

Maybe too, I'll compare the registry setting on my Win 7 for the program and compare it to the registry for the program on Win 10. The general values and syntax for settings might be similar for both... or at least it could give me an idea of what might need to be changed.