Question Clicking window in taskbar does not minimize it sometimes

DButcha

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
This is a question about the minimization function of windows and bringing windows in focus.

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...not-minimize-window-sometimes?forum=w7itproui

"Click the desktop" or "click the task bar" (or a different window). This sums up my question. Why does it have to be so slow to bring a window into focus? I'm convinced there is an artificial debouncing timeout where if you click too fast it doesn't minimize.

In 10 years of cpu advancements, a Ryzen 12 core should have no slowdowns, this must be an artificial timeout. Is there any knowledge of modifying this?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here?

"Click the desktop" or "click the task bar" (or a different window). This sums up my question.

It really doesn't.... At least, not to me.

Clicking the task bar (a blank space) should do nothing. Clicking another program should switch to it near instantly (given appropriate hardware, of course).

Clicking the icon of the program you're currently inside, does not reliably minimize said program?

Admittedly, between Win+D (minimize everything to desktop), Alt+Tab (switch between 'active' programs) and Win+Arrow keys (to minimize/maximize individual programs), I haven't really minimized/maximized often for quite some time, so might just not be grasping what you're asking.

DButcha

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hi,
The behavior happens across PC's and windows versions (7 and 10) tested in our lab. The link I posted has very clear steps, basically clicking the taskbar icon to bring the window into focus takes ~1 second. During that 1 second if you click the taskbar icon to minimize the window that should be in focus instantly (instead of ~1 second) you will see the window doesn't minimize. It should minimize, and it will if you click another time (that's after ~1 second).

Does that make sense? It's easy to test if you like to minimize windows as fast as possible with the mouse when navigating.