Clipboard inconsistent when cutting and pasting

stdragon

Admirable
For both of my computers (Work and home), I've been having a strange issue with the clipboard being very inconsistent since I've upgraded to the new Version 1803 (currently Build 17134.81).

I can't reproduce it (yet) to an exact science, but there's definitely inconsistencies between using the Ctrl+C and paste from the right-click context menu. And, it goes the other way too. If I cut with the mouse, Ctrl+V wont dump what's in the clipboard. It's driving me nuts!

I've already executed the command below on both computers and rebooted. So far, no change in behavior.

cmd /c “echo off | clip”

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/how-to-clear-the-clipboard/024f716b-c1c8-4c1d-853b-fa2a40b67c8c

So, what exact laws of the universe did I break to make that happen?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you using same user on both PC? If you on 2 different users and 2 different PC, its not you, its Windows.

Seems the next version of windows 10 changes the clipboard entirely - https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/109792-new-windows-10-insider-preview-fast-skip-ahead-build-17666-may-9-a.html - not that this helps answer your question. They may have done something to it in this version in preparation for the next, they probably want to merge it into the timeline.

that command you used just clears history

not sure if this will help:
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Knowing windows, its probably an unexpected "feature" (read bug)

stdragon

Admirable
[

Good question. It never occurred to me that it might be isolated to just the local profile I'm using rather then the entire computer. But that's because this happened at the same time on both computers.

Just as an FYI, both user accounts on each computer are local to the OS itself. Meaning, they're not linked to a Microsoft online account in any way. As such, there's no way there could be some sort of cloud-sync voodoo going on between the two machines.

What I will do however is backup my local profile data (Desktop, Documents, Music, Favorites, etc) before I purge it from a computer. I will then log back in at which point I'll proceed to move my data back over. Of course, I won't be importing anything from the AppData folder as I'm going to keep this simple as best as I can.

Now THAT is entirely possible!!

As for the scan commands - yeah, I saw those referenced online too. All passed, no issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It might be fixed in a cumulative update, since 1803 is only new. You are on a version I don't have yet, but I may not need it - they changed how CU are delivered, if you don't need any updates, you don't get them.