[SOLVED] Clock Speed of 5700xt being too high!

Aug 15, 2019
I have recently purchased a 5700xt, and have tried very light crypto mining with it - but it lags out my whole computer, so I can't even move the cursor without visible lag. I believe this to be the Core Clock and Memory Clock being TOO HIGH out of the box, so I am considering slightly underclocking it.

On MSI Afterburner, the Core Clock is set to a max of 2054MHz, and the Memory Clock is set to a max of 1750MHz. Is this normal, or too high? And what should I set the maximum to?

Basically I am curious to see if I bought the card new with a slight overclock pre-applied. Thanks

Solution
Regarding this whole issue, I don't think the mining software itself is causing the issue, it's just that mining of course is heavily dependant on mem clock - and with no way of turning that down, I am forced to mine on a fairly high MHz. Ideally I want to UNDERCLOCK my card when mining, but do not see a way of doing this w/ the memory clock.

Is there any other way of fixing this, which doesn't void the warranty? (in games the card performs extremely well as expected, just mining is proving an issue)
I hope you realize mining crypto is not profitable with most GPUs nowadays. If you want to get the most out of your GPU mining crypto, you will HAVE to mod the BIOS to use custom memory timings, clock speeds, and power settings...
Aug 15, 2019
Yeah, based on user reviews on Newegg, other people have had issus with the core clock being too high and causing instability. Try lowering it to around 1800.
I can lower the core clock to 1800, but would lowering the memory clock do anything? I'm asking this because the memory clock is set to 1750 - but it physically doesn't go any lower... is it not meant to go lower than that?

Thanks

I can lower the core clock to 1800, but would lowering the memory clock do anything? I'm asking this because the memory clock is set to 1750 - but it physically doesn't go any lower... is it not meant to go lower than that?

Thanks
You would have to modify the GPU BIOS to lower the memory speed. But crypto-mining relies on memory speed. I don't recommend modifying the BIOS, because it will void the warranty.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I have recently purchased a 5700xt, and have tried very light crypto mining with it - but it lags out my whole computer, so I can't even move the cursor without visible lag. I believe this to be the Core Clock and Memory Clock being TOO HIGH out of the box, so I am considering slightly underclocking it.
Which exact mining utility are you running? Where did you download it from?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting, I didn't think about it but a mining app could be auto-tuning the GPU to custom clock speeds. I saw an actual review on Newegg where the user said his (same) GPU was crashing because it was running at 2050MHz and he didn't mention mining. Idk, let's see what the OP has to say.
As far as I can tell it's not unusual for the Navi cards to have a higher boost clock than what's stated in the specs. Sort of like how the rated clocks for Nvidia are becoming increasingly meaningless. The boost algorithm just does its thing to maximize clock speeds based on temp/power.

E.g. for the Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse, max boost is listed as 1925 MHz in the specs on Sapphire's site. But in GPU-Z it's listed as 2039 MHz. https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/133400-sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse/?page=2

I'm not convinced the boost speeds have anything to do with the OP's problem. Regarding the guy on Newegg, we don't know if clock speed was their problem in and of itself. Maybe the card was overheating, maybe his PSU sucks, who knows.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy
Aug 15, 2019
As far as I can tell it's not unusual for the Navi cards to have a higher boost clock than what's stated in the specs. Sort of like how the rated clocks for Nvidia are becoming increasingly meaningless. The boost algorithm just does its thing to maximize clock speeds based on temp/power.

E.g. for the Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse, max boost is listed as 1925 MHz in the specs on Sapphire's site. But in GPU-Z it's listed as 2039 MHz. https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/133400-sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse/?page=2

I'm not convinced the boost speeds have anything to do with the OP's problem. Regarding the guy on Newegg, we don't know if clock speed was their problem in and of itself. Maybe the card was overheating, maybe his PSU sucks, who knows.
Regarding this whole issue, I don't think the mining software itself is causing the issue, it's just that mining of course is heavily dependant on mem clock - and with no way of turning that down, I am forced to mine on a fairly high MHz. Ideally I want to UNDERCLOCK my card when mining, but do not see a way of doing this w/ the memory clock.

Is there any other way of fixing this, which doesn't void the warranty? (in games the card performs extremely well as expected, just mining is proving an issue)

I hope you realize mining crypto is not profitable with most GPUs nowadays. If you want to get the most out of your GPU mining crypto, you will HAVE to mod the BIOS to use custom memory timings, clock speeds, and power settings. However, you are already having stability issues and you haven't even modded the BIOS. That's not a good sign.

What coin are you mining?

What app are you using?

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Do you experience issues is any scenario other than mining?

Your memory is running at the same speed as every other RX 5700 (XT) on the market. Why would AMD release a card where the default memory speeds aren't stable?