[SOLVED] Clock speeds higher than specs

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
I just bought a MSI 2070 Super Gaming X and as the spec sheet says boost clock should be 1800mhz but while gaming I saw both in hwmonitor and in dragon center that the clock speed is 1950mhz. I've read that it's nvidia has boost technology that automatically overclocks it as long as temps and everything else is fine. While playing my temps were at 66 C. Even when I put it on "silent" mode it only dropped it by like 15mhz. so it still remained at like 1785mhz. And also in hwmonitor it shows graphics, memory and video mhz. What are the "video" mhz because those were at 1800mhz so at first I though that was my clock speeds because it matches the spec sheet. But the "graphics" mhz is what matched with dragon center. Thanks to anyone who can explain it to me.

Solution
Ok thanks I was just surprised this being my first rtx that it will go from boost clock of 1800mhz and move it to 1950 and even 1995mhz. So almost 200mhz more that the stated boost clock. Really like nvidia for this and thanks for the info.
Yep, same reaction I had when I first bought a GTX 1060. It was about 150MHz above the stated boost clock speed.

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Yep, that is Nvidia's GPU Boost 4.0 I think it is now, giving you extra clock speed. https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/gpu-boost/technology
Also I don't know why but hwmonitir shows a "video mhz" measurement. It's different from clock speed and mem speed. I compared to msi afterburner and clock and mem speeds matches to hwmonitor but I just dont know what that other measure is. But overall I was surprised that its able to boost all the way to 1995mhz (this was when playing siege) and even though it doesnt need that much speed it still ran smooth. Thanks for the confirmation of this feature on nvidia cards

Also I don't know why but hwmonitir shows a "video mhz" measurement. It's different from clock speed and mem speed. I compared to msi afterburner and clock and mem speeds matches to hwmonitor but I just dont know what that other measure is. But overall I was surprised that its able to boost all the way to 1995mhz (this was when playing siege) and even though it doesnt need that much speed it still ran smooth. Thanks for the confirmation of this feature on nvidia cards
Yeah, idk about the different speeds you're seeing. I do know that different programs will show different things and sometimes call the same things something different.

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Yeah, idk about the different speeds you're seeing. I do know that different programs will show different things and sometimes call the same things something different.
Ok thanks I was just surprised this being my first rtx that it will go from boost clock of 1800mhz and move it to 1950 and even 1995mhz. So almost 200mhz more that the stated boost clock. Really like nvidia for this and thanks for the info.