Question Clone Drive from a Raid0 Array

ksdst1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I'm sure many have asked similar questions about this but I can't find a good answer. Maybe it isn't possible.
I have an external 4 drive (2TB ea) OWC Hardware Raid 0 Array, where the volume was Mac formatted. One of the drives is failing and the volume keeps un-mounting so I can't copy the data.
I'd like to try to clone the failing drive (same model, size, firmware, etc.) to replace the failing drive.
I have not found info on what free cloning software and what setup to try for this. I have tried Clonezilla but the original drive is "not recognized" so can't initiate the clone.
Is there a Mac or other (linux, PC) clone software that would work? I have PC, Linux, and Mac computers where I could load the software and drives to do the clone.

USAFRet

Titan
1 member of a RAID 0 is gone?
That means ALL the data is gone.

If you can't get CloneZilla to recognize the drive, it is almost certainly too late.

The time to consider the backup and recovery options for a RAID 0 is before you create the RAID 0, and every day after that.

Reactions: RealBeast

ksdst1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Tnx. I understand the scenario with a failed drive in RAID 0 stripping. The one drive "may" not be completely dead (SMART spin retry count error). This is why I want to try and clone it.
Clonezilla also does not recognize the other drives (with no SMART error) so I assume it can't recognize the formatting, so I'm not sure if these drives are recognized as their Volume formatting (Mac HFS+) or if they have some sort of raw formatting.
I am looking for another clone software that will work with HFS+ to see if that is the issue.

ksdst1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I know this in an unconventional approach to things. I have a failing, not fail, drive.

I suppose what I am looking for is anyone who has successfully used a freeware or demo cloning app to clone a failing drive from a RAID array to swap it out, where ultimately the array's Volume formatted HFS+ is recognized again, and if so, what was the software and what OS does it run from. I'd assume a clone sector by sector might work, but I don't know if something with hardware RAIDs, like with this OWC unit, makes this not possible for some reason I am ignorantly unaware of.

ksdst1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I want to do sector by sector clone the clone apps (PC) recognize the HD and new raw drive but they don't see anything on them b/c there isn't a recognizable formatting.

ksdst1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Just to close this out. I used the dd linux command (basically dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb) and the command worked but it seems that the copy of the drive also was not recognized fully by the hardware raid 0 array. Oh well, worth a try. Tnx to USAFRet for the help!