[SOLVED] Clone HDD to SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 13, 2020
I bought a SSD and want to clone my HDD to the SSD and make SSD as primary boot drive.
I just want a short and easy step by step guide before i start.
What i know so far is - you clone the HDD to the SSD then restart your PC and open up for the BIOS and make the SSD as primary boot up. And then formating HDD? But I read something about disconnect HDD, when do i have to do that?
And another thing is i just opened my BIOS settings up for know how it looks like and to know the key. But it doesnt show up the SSD in the priority list, how to fix that?
I have formated my SSD after installing. It is totally empty inside, not even one file is inside it.

Here is how it looks like (My BIOS):
https://ibb.co/t8C47Yd

And this is how it should be like, right?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JaHLyppI1s

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020
Still nothing wrong all is good and works perfect. Then only thing is the boot up speed, it is d*mn fast :D It took like 50 secs, a minute or something and it was rebooted and i logged into my pc and Spotify was already opened up the moment i logged in. With the HDD it took some time to load up the Spotify the PC/system etc. before i could start using it.

JUST FOR INFO
The HDD isn't connected yet

Jun 13, 2020
When you booted up the first time, was the HDD physically disconnected?

I plugged the HDD, and all is good so far. Can i format my HDD now then?
One thing is my SSD have 154GB free space but the HDD have 136GB, it looks like i got some free space after the cloning. Another thing was my SSD showed 930GB when i formated it but 915GB as the HDD after cloning. And my HDD have 915GB - 15GB difference, more in the SSD (before cloning, when it only was formated)- in this case there are 3GB more after cloning process, so it doesnt matter i think?

Here is how it looks:
https://ibb.co/mCBZcHG

C drive is the SSD and F HDD.

Jun 13, 2020
All looks good.
Assuming Disk 0 is the new SSD, and everything works, you can fully wipe the old drive. Disk 1(?).

Commandline diskpart and the clean command will do that easily.
Great!

Havent done anything in BIOS settings yet. Dont even need it now i think? I checked it out and it showed HDD as 3rd boot order if i'm not wrong and actually couldnt see the SDD in the boot order but nothing happened in the boot up and everything works so it isnt a problem i should worry about?

Jun 13, 2020
"This PC" does not eliminate all of the partitions. The original boot partition would still remain.
Commandline diskpart to remove ALL of it.
Like this?:

Open a command prompt with administrator rights and enter the following sequence of commands:
  1. diskpart.
  2. list disk.
  3. select disk {number}
  4. clean.
  5. create partition primary.
  6. select partition 1.
  7. active.
  8. format fs=fat32 quick.